Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Documentation gripes

KeesW
Advocate
I hope that the fancy new features in AC15 don't stifle some simple improvements that would really improve the production of clean drawings.

Display order defaults for one. I am creating alteration drawings and have three slabs on top of each other. The lowest slab is existing, the next one sits over and partially covers it and the third sits above and partially covers the first 2. Archicad knows where the are, vertically, but still shows me the edge of the the lowest slab, even though it is obscured by the other two. Selecting the lowest slab, and using display order to move it to the bottom (as the drawings clearly show to be the case) does not work. Defaults should obscure construction elements which are covered by others. I guess I'll have to break the existing slab and show it as a hidden line where it protrudes under the newer slabs. Could this not be automatic?

I have a wall which stops at a slab. I've used the trim tool which has neatly ended the wall. Trouble is, the slab, in plan, is not perpendicular to the wall and I'll have to trim the wall (in plan) to the shape of the slab. The same thing happens with walls stopping at other walls when they are not at right angles to each other. Am I asking too much to have Archicad work this out by itself?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
A cover fill applied to the upper slab should cover those behind it in the display order. I not it is a bug and should be reported. Are you using cover fills? Slabs are typically transparent by default.
KeesW
Advocate
Defaults should include ends of walls. I know that we have a 'wall end' tool but it's behaviour is not always predictable. If cavity wall terminates with an exposed end, could not a default turn the last brick or block to close the cavity? How else would one treat an end in most cases?

Doing some serious documentation has made me aware of some gripes that simply would not arise in 2D drafting with Autocad. And these gripes contribute to the creation of cluttery drawings, with lots of redundant lines -unless one spends a lot of extra time cleaning them up.

I am not narky but am wishing the best for ArchiCad.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU