BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Does Archicad drive your design?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this is often discussed in other threads but I found myself the other day taking the easy way out on certain objects and building parts " 'cause its too hard or there's a few extra steps....". You know...the path of least resistance ! I confess I did

I wondered how may designs are influenced by that...maybe there's a reason mine look like Bauhaus rejects
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
Okay. I can accept that you are lazy.
Or, maybe it is that you aren't compensated to make better things?
Or, perhaps we share what used to grind me down: putting over-ambitious energy into preliminary things that SHOULD be coarse and feeling let down in the end because they change their mind about it. SO you cynically never do anything that isn't coarse.

What is true for BIM is true for design in general, the more unique a thing is, the longer it takes to detail and the more expensive it will ultimately be.

If your things look coarse or ill-composed, is that really Archicad's fault?

I feel that I spend more time being an architect with Archicad - actually having pleasure determining detailed forms and learning to be quick with swanky modeling.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
What different tools were used to model that image?
Dwight
Newcomer
That is all done with the Complex Profile - in Archicad 12 where the curved wall can be the extrusion controller.

And all words come from the Greek.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Okay. I can accept that you are lazy.
Or, maybe it is that you aren't compensated to make better things?
Or, perhaps we share what used to grind me down: putting over-ambitious energy into preliminary things that SHOULD be coarse and feeling let down in the end because they change their mind about it. SO you cynically never do anything that isn't coarse.

What is true for BIM is true for design in general, the more unique a thing is, the longer it takes to detail and the more expensive it will ultimately be.

If your things look coarse or ill-composed, is that really Archicad's fault?

I feel that I spend more time being an architect with Archicad - actually having pleasure determining detailed forms and learning to be quick with swanky modeling.
I've been an architect for 30 years DWIGHT...don't call me lazy.
I'm very impressed you can do a a curved something and I'm pleased you never take a lazy shortcut.

This what I was talking about as my lazy work:
Also go to http://www.forarchitects.com/firm.aspx?id=1595 and have a look at the hotel/apartment project Sydney 3D study done in Archicad
bushgems.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
Me, I'm lazy all the time.

Don't be insulted. I did give you three options.....

My point is that when a guy observes that he is taking the "easy way out" what is it supposed to mean?
Dwight Atkinson
Erika Epstein
Booster
"Does Archicad drive your design?"

It shouldn't. CAD limitation designs are one of the reasons many design schools have gone back to teaching students how to sketch on paper.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!