Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Door leaf clash detection

Piotr
Contributor
Hi

Is there a way to configure Collision Detection to show clashes between door leaves and other elements?

Thanks
Piotr
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think it is not possible. The Collision Detection algorithm seems to be not smart enough to also consider collisions of the Door Leaf at its specified 3D opening angle. This could be a good wish in my opinion.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Piotr,

Thank you very much for the question!

As Laszlo mentioned, unfortunately, this is not yet possible for the Collision Detection function. Therefore I have entered it as a wish in our Wish List database (please refer to it as Wish #13066). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Thank you once again, and have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

runxel
Legend
If only finally Windows and Doors could be their "own" elements. (I know, they kinda are, but mostly not. In other news try to SEO a door e.g.)

The whole time I thought that openings are the beginning of the replacements for door-/window holes.
See, at the moment windows and doors also bring their own openings with them. But this is actually a conflated logic that has its origins in the fact of fewer computer ressources back then.

But the workflow is actually quite different, I think.
I define an opening; if there will be a door, a window, none of those, doesn't matter.

Windows and doors should parametrically attach to openings.
This would also help with Reno, since if we demolish a door or window the opening will be closed automatically. But this is by far not always what our intention as designer was.

If you think this thought is way off, think again. There already is this attaching-logic implemented in Archicad: Railings can be tied to slabs and stairs.
They, too, should be made to possibly attach to openings (as lanyard rail e.g.).
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Jp1138
Expert
runxel wrote:
If only finally Windows and Doors could be their "own" elements. (I know, they kinda are, but mostly not. In other news try to SEO a door e.g.)

The whole time I thought that openings are the beginning of the replacements for door-/window holes.
See, at the moment windows and doors also bring their own openings with them. But this is actually a conflated logic that has its origins in the fact of fewer computer ressources back then.

But the workflow is actually quite different, I think.
I define an opening; if there will be a door, a window, none of those, doesn't matter.

Windows and doors should parametrically attach to openings.
This would also help with Reno, since if we demolish a door or window the opening will be closed automatically. But this is by far not always what our intention as designer was.

If you think this thought is way off, think again. There already is this attaching-logic implemented in Archicad: Railings can be tied to slabs and stairs.
They, too, should be made to possibly attach to openings (as lanyard rail e.g.).
I agree. The opening could be generated with the door/window or the door/window adapt to the previously placed opening automatically, but in any case opening and door/window should be different things.
ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I'm sure this will be useful to someone, but the day I need a tool to show me that, I think is the day my eyesight has finally failed me

There are options to show the 'required minimal space' in floor plans though. It would just require a similar option as with the stair tool to turn this in to a Model View Option with a 3D representation.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
runxel
Legend
Erwin wrote:
I'm sure this will be useful to someone, but the day I need a tool to show me that, I think is the day my eyesight has finally failed me

There are options to show the 'required minimal space' in floor plans though. It would just require a similar option as with the stair tool to turn this in to a Model View Option with a 3D representation.
Haha, yeah... Maybe this one is really easy to spot. But maybe not, if there was a beam instead of a column, and it would be only a few centimeters too low, and a building of several thousands of m². Suddenly, this is not so easy anymore, right?
It's about consistency, which is so much lacking in Archicad. Doesn't matter if you need it, but sure enough in big projects you really want to be sure.

Yes, the MVO option needs to be much broader. There should be a dedicated GDL command, too, that allows us to "draw" our own minimal spaces (in 2d, as in 3d), which then again could be incorporated into clash detection.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

The Design Checker functionality was added to Archicad 26 at the end of 2022. Make sure you have the latest Update of Archicad 26. Also, Design Checker is available for SSA/Forward users only.

Use the "Design > Model Check > Design Checker" menu command to bring up the palette.

Use the "Door Operability Check" to see if there are any elements that block any of the Doors in the Project from opening.

DesignChecker-DoorOperabilityCheck.png

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27