Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Dormer Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Does any on have any ideas on how I could make the front eternal wall trim with the dormer roof.

I would much appreciate any help you can offer.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
This may not be the correct answer but I have found that (if the wall is tall enough) in 3D mode select the wall and all the relevant roofs, and then trim to roof will perform as you require.

Of course, you will need to put the window in the correct position within this trimmed wall!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Woody
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, Yes I Split the wall then trim it to the dormer roof. Works great thanks for that.

I still a new user of ArchiCAD but, am learning....
Karl Ottenstein
I would suggest not splitting walls unless absolutely necessary, since it just gives you more things to adjust if you change things in your model.

Solid Element Operations can be the best solution in this case (Edit menu).

Extend the wall above the dormer ridge, select it as the target, the three roofs that it touches as the operators, subtract with upwards extrusion and use own attributes.

If the exterior wall is not the same construction as the dormer side walls, as it appears from the thickness of your model's exterior wall, then this will give the result you probably want in all views.

If the exterior wall and dormer side walls are the same construction, for example frame, then the wall-splitting technique can end up being best, since you'll want the front and side dormer walls to clean up to one another, rather than display as a but-joint in plan.

Prior to 8.x, the wall-splitting technique was the only option.

IMHO,
Karl

PS In 9.0, you can split walls using the pet palette, rather than the split wall command. Mouse-down on a wall edge (mercedes) and you'll see options for inserting new nodes (= split).

PPS If you do use trim-to-roof, than as a new user you should also know how it works. If you have no roofs selected, than you are trimming to any and all roof that touch your selected wall(s). If you have one or more roofs selected along with one or more walls, then the walls are trimmed only to the selected roof(s).
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually, I agree with Karl that the SEO is a better way to go.

Woody
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also agree with Karl. I now use SEOs exclusively for trimming to roofs. Since 8.1 I have had no problems at all (they didn't work reliably enough in 8.0) and the advantages are significant.