BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Draw once, shown in all layers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all..

Ok.. so, another frustrating issue..

assume I have a survey/site plan/universal dimensions/boundary lines/anything I might happen to want to see all the time in all the drawings.

Is there a way that I can show lines, dimensions, notes, or anything else other than stairs, roofs or other components in all levels.. I want each level of the drawing to show specific site works, but I DO NOT want to copy and paste these elements into each story. I want to have only the one instance of any single drawing element to exist at any point in time. I HATE doubling up of the same information.

Is this possible? And If not, why???

Thanks for your help.
Nick.
9 REPLIES 9
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Short answer: no.

Slightly less short answer: hotlink module it.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
As an alternative, place on a typically hidden layer/unused storey and save save as a library part.

Place new object on visible layer/storey and set to show on all storeys.

If, in the future, you need to update/change information, make changes to original elements and resave/over-write library part and reload.
Barry Kelly
Overlay two drawings in your layouts - one of you floor plan and the other of your site plan.
Repeat for each storey overlaying the same site plan drawing
Then they will always print as if one drawing.

While working in Archicad you can't see the combined image on each storey unless you use the Trace Reference and set the site plan as the reference.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
kombiBob, I think you've got it.
Thats what I'm going to do..

Wait.. does this mean that the various layers involved in the library part will now be void? If I switch off the dimensions layer, will it switch off that layer in the library part, or are all library parts defaulted onto the one layer??
I think I know the answer..

How annoying that the only way to do something so seemingly commonplace and easy should result in such a hacky workaround. It can't be so inconceivable that one might want to show the same thing on multiple story's.

Bah! Too clever for its own good means too stupid to be flexible.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Barry,

That solution is simple and perfect.. Exactly what I was looking for.
Fundamentally its not a problem whilst working on the drawing, but to have to replicate elements, or create symbols, or do any other types of workarounds just so you can see what you've drawn on the layouts is inflexible and dumb. Your solution is elegant and does exactly what I need. So thanks.. For the non-ArchiCAD specific, lateral thinking solution.

Nick.
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi NickMcLeod,

yes, once you create a library part all the individual elements will be on a common layer (the one you place the object on). It may be possible to fine tune this by placing various elements on different fragments and tweaking the gdl script to show differently depending on differently set parameters - it may be possible, but likely beyond the time and effort justifiable for a one-project specific use.
assume I have a survey/site plan/universal dimensions/boundary lines/anything I might happen to want to see all the time in all the drawings.

I took from your original question that what was required was for the relevant 2d elements to be visible on all storys in all views. If you are wanting only specific items visible depending on saved views/layer combinations, you would have to save specific elements (i.e. dimensions, text, boundary lines etc.) as seperate library objects and place them on different layers as you would normally to suit layer combinations.

Otherwise, i think Barrys method works fine; it's how i typically integrate site survey information. I also typically place survey drawings (or any other imported 2d information) in a worksheet window - that way, i can easily keep track of where it is and, if there are any changes, the various updates, and not have to set up a dedicated story for it or worry that it may show up anywhere other than where i place it on the layout. Also, if you use this method, place a 2d hotspot to a relevant point to easily align with other drawings and, i find this useful, group the overlaid drawings and switch on groupings before moving drawings on layout - to avoid drawings becoming misaligned.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Do you guys use hotlinked modules at all!?

Create a view of the site, put in in a publisher set to publish to Module file, publish it, place it in your project and copy/paste wherever you want it. Done.

The view's layer combo determines what you see, republishing takes 10 seconds, updating takes another 10 seconds, and being a single module file, it's super lightweight. Plus the module's master layer gives you further control on its visibility.

No GDL, no library loading, no multiple overlays - no-brainer!

Cheers,
Link.
owen
Newcomer
NickMcLeod wrote:
Barry wrote:
While working in Archicad you can't see the combined image on each storey unless you use the Trace Reference and set the site plan as the reference.
Hey Barry,

That solution is simple and perfect.. Exactly what I was looking for.
Fundamentally its not a problem whilst working on the drawing, but to have to replicate elements, or create symbols, or do any other types of workarounds just so you can see what you've drawn on the layouts is inflexible and dumb. Your solution is elegant and does exactly what I need. So thanks.. For the non-ArchiCAD specific, lateral thinking solution.

Nick.
Whilst both are good solutions, my vote (its what we do) goes to Links suggestion of Hotlink modules. You can set up either a Publisher set view to publish the common elements from one story and link into the others, or group them and manually save as a Hotlink Module. Has the advantage of actually placing the elements on the floor you are working in so you can dimension to them, etc. I find Trace Reference can slow you down quite a bit if the reference is heavy on detail

owen
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
owen
Newcomer
heh too slow ..
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager