Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Drawing Frame in Views

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm a little confused about this. When I set up a view, I specify a certain zoom for that view. That zoom tells me what I can see in that view.

When I place that view in a layout, it places the entire drawing - not that view. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

In the image you can see how small the sheet is compared to the drawings being pulled in - I'm just trying to bring in a tiny portion of that drawing - which is what I see in the view.

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the view that's in the View Map:

It's just some notes.

Should I be bringing notes in in a different way?

Or do you always have to go in a resize the frame on every single layout?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another thing that happens:

The first time that I update the drawing after I've placed it, I get a blank rectangle, so I have to go into the drawing settings on the layout and select "Fit Frame to Drawing," and then go through the resizing the frame process again. From that point forward it seems to stay put.

It just seems kind of awkward and inefficient - which means that I'm probably doing something wrong.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It should come in cropped to the saved zoom extents by default. This is regardless of what the drawing defaults are.

So you tried changing it via the Drawing's Settings> set Frame to Manually resized frame. Is your drawing a long way from the project origin?

Do you have the latest version of AC11?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
It should come in cropped to the saved zoom extents by default. This is regardless of what the drawing defaults are.

So you tried changing it via the Drawing's Settings> set Frame to Manually resized frame. Is your drawing a long way from the project origin?

Do you have the latest version of AC11?

Cheers,
Link.
I wish it would come in that way.

Well, actually, what do you mean by saved zoom extents? Is that the zoom that I see when I open that particular view? If so, no, that's not coming in. The entire drawing is coming in.

After I manually resize the frame, then that box is checked by default.

In the original .dwg file that I brought in as a trace reference, the origin point was 900,000 feet away from the building. (No, I'm not kidding.) In order to correct that, I opened the original .dwg in ArchiCad and dragged the building back to the origin, then saved that drawing and merged the corrected drawing into this file.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
900,000 feet! What is that - 170 miles? Are you designing an oil rig by any chance?

I wonder if your trace reference was on, when you saved the view, and if you turn it off and save it again, will it make any difference?

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
in your Preferences>Layouts make sure that you have ticked the option to adjust each drawing frame to the zoomed area . . .

~/archiben
zoomAdjust.png
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
900,000 feet! What is that - 170 miles? Are you designing an oil rig by any chance?

I wonder if your trace reference was on, when you saved the view, and if you turn it off and save it again, will it make any difference?

Cheers,
Link.
I had to get rid of the trace reference and go through the process of merging the .pln that I created from the origin corrected .dwg.

I have no idea of why the original drawing was created that way.
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
in your Preferences>Layouts make sure that you have ticked the option to adjust each drawing frame to the zoomed area . . .

~/archiben
Wow.

Thank you. That works.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Too easy. Good one Ben. I had forgotten about that simple switch.

Still wondering why we need that option....

Cheers,
Link.