BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Drawing Walls Fast

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello fellow ArchiCADists I was wondering if anyone here could or has posted a You Tube video on how to draw walls fast with ArchiCAD?

I saw this Reviteer shred thru a model at lightening speed, his video is called "Revit From Scratch" Please take a look and see if any of you can shred thru a similar size residential model in ArchiCAD and post it on You Tube.

I was particularly impressed with the drawing walls and the witness line temp dimension when placing openings as well.

Is it time for us to get our productivity going faster and keep the ArchiCADians from departing to the Reviteer camp?

If so can we please have a witness line temp dimension system or the like to speed up our model building?
22 REPLIES 22
mthd
Ace

About the same amount of moves with the tracker pallet and if you move the wall, the dimensions usually adjust and follow the walls new location.

That’s is if you have put dimension nodes at the edges of each wall and the dimensions are not the static type.

I don’t use Revit, I used Chief Architect a long time ago and that was fast with dimensions moving the wall. Revit probably copied that function from them because Chief Architect has been around for 30 years.

Chief Architect drove me mad with split level rooms and half set down rooms and that was a major reason why I changed over to Archicad.

I still used CA for project home builder clients that had basic home plans.

It was fast but when the home was more complicated the program slowed down with having so many work arounds to make the 3D model look correct.

In reality CA is a bit like a very good app but not in the league of Archicad.

As for Revit, that is really just a very powerful API program that uses Autocad as it’s engine.

The amount of CAD programs using Autocad as it’s engine were quite numerous at the beginning of the 21st century.

I almost went and bought Smart Architect from DRC Auto, till I found out that you had to buy Autocad and Accurender as well lol.

It looks like that the modern day ArchlineXP also has Autocad for its engine to this very day ? 

Dont be fooled by Revit, I think that programs that use Autocad as an engine are a step backwards into the past still ?

I believe Archicad will definitely get faster in the future and more productive if they can focus more on the basic functionality and not so much on creating more perfect engineering 3D model transfer.

Engineering is quite complicated and a 3D model from Archicad will never be perfect enough for good practice engineering.

They all have to add in all the extra 3D detail to do proper load calculations.

If I was a structural engineer I wouldn’t be very satisfied with a 3D model built from Archicad alone. Yes use it as a base but build the full structural model in the dedicated engineering software.

Obviously the 3D model transfer between Nemetchek products is going to be much better than going from Archicad to AutoCAD or Revit. 

The same is true for Revit models to Autocad engineering APIs. The transition will be smoother.

I think GS needs to focus much more on Archicad’s basic development rather than becoming too much like the Autocad products business model.

Just my observations.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

If you are up to AC24, you are not missing out on many key features from AC25 or AC26.

I'm still happily working in AC23 as I haven't bothered to update our template yet for the newer releases.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
mthd
Ace

It would be very good if Archicad could do what Vectorworks does with rectangular wall placement ?

Watch this YT clip from 5min 20 seconds in, to see what I would like to be able to do in Archicad.

https://youtu.be/BuCkO6mK0Ok

I tested it to see if it would work in Archicad as well but I couldn’t get it to do the same thing. I just got overlapping walls over the existing walls so far.

Just have to use the usual methods for now.

There are many ways they could easily speed up the drawing of walls in Archicad as well as other elements. 

Too many steps for me so far.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
Learn and get certified!