BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Drawing on the face of exterior walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a plan that I am using to learn from and the exterior walls have multiple offsets around the windows. I am attaching a picture of what I am talking about. Is there an easy way to do this? I am using Archicad 15 and just do not know how to create these offsets.

007D-0002-front-rend-8.jpg
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I'm taking a guess here since noone has replied yet.. is there a chance that u use each wall seperately and every time use a bigger window and cut the wall using Solids Element Operation? I'm not sure if this is possible though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I really have no idea. I just need to get these added to the exterior walls. I wish I could just draw on the face of the wall and make some kind of extrusion. Or make a complex shape and revolve it into position.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, there is this option available!
You can draw your object in floor plan, as u want it to be in elevation.
Then u view it in 3D axonometry, from the menu View->3d view mode->3d projection settings and u select to see it from the top view (u try in fact to create a view in 3d as it will be in floor plan (shown in the print screen how it should be)
then u select it and u go menu as I show in the pic and u create the new object. And u can load it from the library manager.
The object shown in the print screen is drawn with the slab tool, so dont forget that the slab thickness is your object's thickness.
Anonymous
Not applicable
tfulmer wrote:
I wish I could just draw on the face of the wall and make some kind of extrusion.
You can create each shape (looking at it in elevation) as a complex profile and extrude it as a wall or beam.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your help. I went in and made a sample shape to see if I could get through the steps you mentioned. I made the shape and now if you could just help me know where to insert it. Do I insert the object in plan view or an elevation or the generic perspective?
Anonymous
Not applicable
tfulmer wrote:
Thank you for your help. I went in and made a sample shape to see if I could get through the steps you mentioned. I made the shape and now if you could just help me know where to insert it. Do I insert the object in plan view or an elevation or the generic perspective?
When u use the Library Manger to insert objects it doesnt matter where u are (as long as u are in archicad ). When u created the object it saved also the main floor plan view which was the view as shown in the print screen - as it will appear in floor plan, so u insert it in floor plan and place it outside the wall, then it will appear in elevation and 3d like normal objects from the libray.
This way you can create your own libray of objects u use often.

The other way that s2art is mentioning is inknown to me.
Karl Ottenstein
Hi tfulmer,

I assume you are the same person as fulmert who posted this thread - as it seems to be the initial modeling of the same house:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=38703

It is best to use one user ID and to put your version and machine specs in your Profile (text link at top of page) so that when folks come to help you, they can find your other posts to help divine your question better.

There are lots of answers to this one, but I cannot tell what your level of experience is. The other thread said you were a new user ... if you are new as in using for only one month and have not completed the training guides, then answers are different from new user for a year but never did any complex profiles before. Help us help you appropriately. 😉

The sketched house (from a plan book?) has lots of things that would be done with complex Profiles and custom objects and possibly solid element operations. The chimneys, for example, are a piece of cake with two profiles. The arched window reveals with keystone involve many steps and there are several different techniques... If folks here know how much you know, they'll be able to answer at an appropriate detail level.

Are you experienced with complex profiled walls / beams / columns?

Are you experienced with solid element operations?

Have you created any custom objects, such as suggested by Wendy_Neverland?

Cheers,

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes sir, I am. I really did not know I had two user id's. I have been using the program off and on for about three months. I teach Architecture classes and STEM Engineering classes and for this year I have had ArchiCAD and Solidworks along with all the STEM stuff dumped in my lap and I have been trying to learn it all a little at a time. I feel I have accomplished a lot on ArchiCAD so far but it is all based on preexisting doors, windows and objects. I have not taken the time to explore how much farther you can go with this software. I think it has been easier than Revit. I never could seem to grasp that program. I am most familiar with Autodesk products so this is new for me.

I have not worked with the items you listed. I was sitting down today after school with two of my students and we were following along with Wendys directions. We were able to create the slab shape described but we could not get the numbers to match her pic. When we tried to choose a side view and type in the coordinates she had we always came in upside down when we applied that piece to the exterior wall. We tried changing different numbers to get it to flip but it would not seem to work. I will be trying again tonight.

I am so very appreciative of any support. Our curriculum tries to get us to create the Frank Lloyd Wright House in New York and that tutorial is just a disaster for trying to teach this program to new users. I get most of my info here and on YouTube. I appreciate your patience and willingness to help out folks like me.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good morning!
The thing maybe slipping from u, is the fact that you must see in 3d your object in a side view, THAT WILL BE your top view after u save it.
The numbers are in decimal degrees for me and u must pay attention to the azimuth as well (I show it in the pic) I hope u do it this time.. I'll be around if u need anything else...
Learn and get certified!