BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Dropping column bases to mesh below

Greetings to allin this new year

I have many, many,many columns, previously set on top of of flat slab that has now changed to a mesh,with slopes going in several directions.

Dropping all the oolumns to the lowest mesh elevation and then performing a collective "substraction with downwards extrusion" will work, however,I was wondering if there is an equally collective way to have the columns selected and then "gravitate" to the mesh.

Also, what effect have the intensive use of Boolean Ops in the size of a file?

Conrado
Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
I would say not - for columns at least. Element Information still lists the trimmed volume and a schedule can list the (net) volume.
Great!... I guess I'll use SEO more frequently...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Braza wrote:
The only problem that I see with the utilization of SEO in this kind of situation is that quantities are compromised...
Or not?...
I would say not - for columns at least. Element Information still lists the trimmed volume and a schedule can list the (net) volume.

Cheers,
Link.
AFAIK, SEOs are counted in volume calcs on all the basic model elements (walls, roofs, slabs etc.). Scripted parts of course are more complex.
David Shorter
Advisor
Quants work OK mostly. I wouldn't use SEO with Meshes so the Mesh to Roof and trim the columns is a good solution.
The BIG IMHO problem with SEO's is that you have no idea whats doing what to what. Select any item and you have no idea if its being cut or is doing some cutting.
Try unknitting a SEO issue, you will find it is impossible.
SEO do not work with IFC
SEO's do not work (reliably) with hotlinks
SEO's slow the file down
Apart from that they are great
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
Try unknitting a SEO issue, you will find it is impossible.
I keep them simple when I need them for quantities so I can keep track of the effects, but I agree that we desperately need better SEO management. At least we can see what items are related by selecting one in 3D.
SEO do not work with IFC
I haven't had any problem with this yet though I haven't pushed it hard. There are the silly IFCopenings to be deleted though.
SEO's do not work (reliably) with hotlinks
This can be tricky for obvious reasons. With proper discipline it is manageable.
SEO's slow the file down
On my machine it takes an awful lot of SEOs before it becomes too tedious
Apart from that they are great
I love 'em despite their limitations. I would sure hate to be without them.
David Shorter
Advisor
But Matthew, you are a very experienced user, in fact an ArchiCAD guru. You use these things sensibly, there are some that do not, some don't ask. I would always avoid them (SEO's) if possible as it is impossible to keep track of whats what.
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Learn and get certified!