BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Dropping column bases to mesh below

Greetings to allin this new year

I have many, many,many columns, previously set on top of of flat slab that has now changed to a mesh,with slopes going in several directions.

Dropping all the oolumns to the lowest mesh elevation and then performing a collective "substraction with downwards extrusion" will work, however,I was wondering if there is an equally collective way to have the columns selected and then "gravitate" to the mesh.

Also, what effect have the intensive use of Boolean Ops in the size of a file?

Conrado
Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP
14 REPLIES 14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Conrado wrote:
Greetings to allin this new year

I have many, many,many columns, previously set on top of of flat slab that has now changed to a mesh,with slopes going in several directions.

Dropping all the oolumns to the lowest mesh elevation and then performing a collective "substraction with downwards extrusion" will work, however,I was wondering if there is an equally collective way to have the columns selected and then "gravitate" to the mesh.

Conrado
Unfortunately, Gravity works only when placing stuff, but does not when moving/modifying it. This would make a great wish. If you make the wish I promise to vote 'essential'.

I am sure storing SEO relation and operations takes memory but I would not think it takes too much.
I really do not know the limitations of SEO as far as number of operation performed is concerned. I think cutting a couple of dozen Columns out of a Mesh should not cause any problems.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Thanks Laszlo.

I will post this as a wish. However, for a really powerfull function, it will be great if we have the columns Trim top or bottom to slabs and mesh, the same way they now trim to a roof. I allways use a flat roof instead of a slab, to take advantage of the Trim to foof function.

Conrado
Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP
Anonymous
Not applicable
Conrado, you can transform the mesh into a roof and then Trim to roof all the colunms! You'll need the "Mesh to roof" add-on which is a Goodie.
Conrado, you can transform the mesh into a roof and then Trim to roof all the colunms! You'll need the "Mesh to roof" add-on which is a Goodie.

Hmm. No Goodies folder in AC 12. I'll search my previous versions and try it.

Thanks for the tip.

Conrado
Karl Ottenstein
Conrado wrote:
Hmm. No Goodies folder in AC 12.
Goodies are a download for all recent versions. Go to your Help menu to find the download page.

Cheers,
karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Conrado wrote:
There is no appreciable effect on file size as far as I know, but there can be significant effects on 3D performance. I have found SEOs to be pretty robust and use them quite extensively. The main things to watch for are:

1. Don't make reciprocal relationships. An example would be to intersect a roadway slab with a site model and then subtract the result from the site. Better to make a copy of the site to work as a hidden operator.

2. Don't involve parts that don't need to be in the operations. For example, subtracting light fixtures from ceiling slabs should be done room by room (one reason I really want a proper ceiling tool) rather than by selecting all the fixtures and subtracting them from all the ceilings.

In your case, unless you have thousands of columns (or hundreds of complex ones) the performance is probably not much of an issue as long as you have a fairly modern machine.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Matthew wrote:
2. Don't involve parts that don't need to be in the operations. For example, subtracting light fixtures from ceiling slabs should be done room by room (one reason I really want a proper ceiling tool) rather than by selecting all the fixtures and subtracting them from all the ceilings.
I created a wish based on this. Would be nice if the SEO relationship was created only between physically intersection light fixture-slab pair. This way the whole thing could be done in one step.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=137905#137905
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
The only problem that I see with the utilization of SEO in this kind of situation is that quantities are compromised...
Or not?...
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Braza wrote:
The only problem that I see with the utilization of SEO in this kind of situation is that quantities are compromised...
Or not?...
I would say not - for columns at least. Element Information still lists the trimmed volume and a schedule can list the (net) volume.

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!