BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Edges of Slabs Drawn with Arcs in Plan Are Segmented in 3d.

svpribyl
Booster
Why are slabs that are drawn with arcs or splines in plan view shown segmented in 3d? This leads to morphs with segmented edges instead of curved edges. Do I have to draw them in the 3d window in order to get truly curved edges?
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
If a draw a closed spline in 2d then space click a slab i get a slab with its boundary made up of arcs. Viewing this in 3d also shows a slab with arcs. What steps are you doing to get segments?

A highly complex spline will need to broken down into arcs somehow but you should not get any straight facets if you are getting this?
Barry Kelly
There is no such thing as a true curve in 3D.
It may still behave as an arc or circle (i.e. stretchy radius) but it is actually made up from many straight edges.

The number of edges is controlled in your Magic Wand settings.
You may also have the magic wand settings to use a tracing method of "Linear Segments" rather than "Best Match" which will give you curves.

Barry.
no_curves.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
The magic wand settings.
Barry.
magic_wand_settings.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
svpribyl
Booster
There seems to be a limit to the resolution. The piece I am trying to create is 16" x 4". I can't get the magic wand settings to a high enough resolution to make the curves look curved in 3d. They always look segmented. I tried Deviation from curves (minimum seems to be 3/64"), Segments along arcs, and Segmented length (Minimum is 25/64"). None of them are acceptable.
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27
Learn and get certified!