BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Enlarged Floor plans

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just curious...how do you handle enlarged(blow-ups) floor plans...do you use detail marker or just a simple bubble and track down the call numbers back and forth from archicad/plotmaker
14 REPLIES 14
Plotmaker is great for that displaying plans and details of different scale on the same sheet, or even the same drawing at a different scale on the same sheet. It is like an AutoCAD Viewport in paperspace.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
oops I know that what I mean how do you bubble it up....do you use a Detail Marker....which gives it an id number....and place that into plotmaker....

or do you do everything manually....such as in archicad...you would draw a rectangle around the area to enlarge then create an circle indicator with text and import that into plotmaker.....
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Bubble it up!

Cheers,
Link.
Aussie John
Newcomer
I've never done this but…
You could create an independent detail on the floor plan and leave blank, then save as view set. Add to plotmaker over the real plan and bingo you have referenced large scale plans.
Think might try that on my next project.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I usually include *at least* one of these in all of my templates and it works a treat.

Cheers,
Link.
I use a layer combination for enlarged plans. I don't like details for this purpose because it means effectively unlinking the enlarged plan.

I call the enlargement out using detail marker OBJECT (it predates the detail tool). I'll put the drawing/sheet numbers in manually, or if I have a lot of them I'll use this technique(Copying autotext gibberish from placed drawings in PM), which is really no fun but it works.

Always on the lookout for workarounds,
Aussie wrote:
You could create an independent detail on the floor plan and leave blank, then save as view set. Add to plotmaker over the real plan and bingo you have referenced large scale plans.
You would save a view of the blank detail window, and then place this view in the layout with the enlarged plan? Wouldn't that mess up the drawing numbering of the sheet? Hmm, maybe not if you were numbering using the grid, which I haven't up to this point...

<ticktockticktock>

Yes, that works. Just make sure the real plan and the empty window are in the same grid cell. I noticed something weird along the way: Empty details are not well-liked. When a detail is completely empty, the drawing updates with the detail rebuilt from the source view. In AC, it's the same thing, if you double-click a detail view that's empty, it rebuilds. Never noticed before, never used empty details before. All you need is a couple hotspots to occupy it though.

There was something about the grid I didn't like, but maybe I'll give it another chance.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
here's what I did before starting the subject....I have my view set created, "Overall Plan"@ 1/16".....zoomed into my area and created a view set, and gave it name...for example "New Kitchen"@ 1/4"....wrap polygon around this area in my Overall Plan with a bubble

Both of the view sets where put into a Plotmaker file on different layouts...the first layout being the "Overall Plan"(vs Overall Plan imported here) and the second layout called..."Room Renovations" (vs New Kitchen imported here)

go back to my PLN file (Archicad) and create a Detail Marker using the Geometry Method...with "Create New Detail Drawing Window" selected....and place on my vs "Overall Plan"....the bubble is disabled using the white color and now I have the attributes I need....I name the view set for the detail maker the same as enlarged vs "new kitchen"
*make sure that you use the same scale for the view sets"

keep in mind this an empty detail view with nothing in it...so you don't have to rebuild as detail

I go back to Plotmaker, and import the Detail Window that has the same name as my enlarged plan....I match up the title so they overlap each other and then turn off the view set title information off....then group the set...... then put them order on my sheet.... and rearrange the tree subset to get the appropriate numbering....

it may sound a little awkward at first but so far it's working...the initial set up is a pain....once it's setup moves fairly well....
Aussie John
Newcomer
James wrote:
Aussie wrote:
You would save a view of the blank detail window, and then place this view in the layout with the enlarged plan? Wouldn't that mess up the drawing numbering of the sheet? Hmm, maybe not if you were numbering using the grid, which I haven't up to this point...

<ticktockticktock>

Yes, that works. Just make sure the real plan and the empty window are in the same grid cell. I noticed something weird along the way: Empty details are not well-liked. When a detail is completely empty, the drawing updates with the detail rebuilt from the source view. In AC, it's the same thing, if you double-click a detail view that's empty, it rebuilds. Never noticed before, never used empty details before. All you need is a couple hotspots to occupy it though.

There was something about the grid I didn't like, but maybe I'll give it another chance.
After my post I decided to try my idea.
1) yes, you are reminded that your detail is empty when you update- easy workaround type <DRAWINGNAME>
<SCALE>
in the detail, then it will show your quick view name and the scale on the layout (so long as you save it at same scale as the real plan).
2) It doesnt mess up with the numbering on the sheet as you can put two files into one grid or altenatively dont use a grid and the layout will automatically use the drawing number. Select the settings of the plan and check (or uncheck) the box to use the file in the numbering system. Drag the drawing in the navigator to change the order and subsequent numbering.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems like there are a number of things that could make the detail tool more powerful and this brings light to one of them. If we had an option in the detail tool that simply clipped a live plan view it would solve this issue. Perhaps in version 10 we will get that and some of the other needed items of the detail tool (details within details).
Learn and get certified!