Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Evil ArchiCAD gutter object

I was working away on a small residential project, and suddenly my elevations with vectorial shadows went from almost instantaneous to a couple of minutes each. I finally tracked this down to the AC gutter object. It seems that if you turn the "guard" on via the checkbox, the object creates a 3D wire mesh, with every wire modeled! Needless to say, casting shadows for a bizillion surfaces, all of which are seen only inside the gutter itself, takes awhile. This is just a cautionary warning for others who have mysterious shadow slowdowns. Also a plea for object developers not to program dirty tricks like this.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
3 REPLIES 3
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi Richard,

Thanks for bringing it up. I did some preliminary testing to see if I could reproduce the issue but I am having trouble doing so. Since you are located in my direct support region I have sent you an email with a request for more information to investigate the matter.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like your issue is a bug of some kind.

I always use custom profiles and a beam for gutters. For me it gives more options for custom profile gutters and things.

Might be a work around rather than using the object
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
After getting some more details from Richard I was able to reproduce the issue in AC17 and 18. With multiple gutters (guards turned on and spanning across an elevation) it would take a very long time to generate the elevation with sun shadows turned on. But the same speed issue is not present in version 19. It generates much, much more quickly.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center