BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

FINDING ELEMENTS via layers

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to reduce number of layers from an old file, which is in mess. I turned off all layers and turned on only one (named "A - rasvjeta") and checked all stories, all sections, elevations, worksheets and there is nothing.
But when I want to delete that layer it sayes that there are 5834 elements. I cannot see them, so is there any other way to see where those elements are. I cannot see even what are those elements (lines, walls, parts of libraries...)

I post screenshot
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
Unfortunately even with only that one layer visible, for 2D elements, it can take a lot of viewpoint searching to find them.

3D elements - any/all stories - are easy since you can just open the 3D window, do a 'select all' (ctrl-A/cmd-A) and delete the elements (if desired).

2D elements, as you have found, require going to every viewpoint - including every drawing in the layout book (and even the masters),. You should still do 'select all' in each viewpoint as the elements may not be visible to the eye. You'll then either see the selection dots, or look at your Info bar to see how many elements, if any, are selected. (If all 2D elements could be scheduled, this would be an easier process - a single schedule would let you find everything.)

If you don't really care WHAT the elements are, but just know you want to reduce layers and merge the content into another layer - use the dialog shown in your screenshot to do that.

Maybe someone else knows of a more helpful solution...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Karl. Like you wrote it was excactly my way I did for all elements, using cmd+A. I only didnt check layouts and masters because I have them a lot.

Maybe there is a way with scheduling elemts using layers. I will try that.

Thank you for helping.
Barry Kelly
Davor wrote:
Thank you Karl. Like you wrote it was excactly my way I did for all elements, using cmd+A. I only didnt check layouts and masters because I have them a lot.

Maybe there is a way with scheduling elemts using layers. I will try that.

Thank you for helping.

Schedules unfortunately will only pick up elements in the plan and 3D model.
Not layouts, masters, sections, elevations, details or worksheets.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
When you delete the layer, you can assign another layer to those elements, that way you don't need to search for them, assuming you want to keep what is on them.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Schedules unfortunately will only pick up elements in the plan and 3D model.
Not layouts, masters, sections, elevations, details or worksheets.
Yes I figured that out when I tried.
Erwin wrote:
When you delete the layer, you can assign another layer to those elements, that way you don't need to search for them, assuming you want to keep what is on them.
Yes Erwin thats right, I know that. But my point is to see those elements. I dont want any unnessesery elements in my project but I will find the way 😉

Thanks both of you
Davor
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
When doing the CTRL/CMD+A search, remember that renovation status and even renovation filter can also hide items. However, if it is really old, it might pre-date ArchiCAD15 (I think that was when we got the tool??).

Hope you don't have a lot of worksheets/details/layouts etc to go through
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Lingwisyer
Guru
If you start a new template then import your layouts in groups, does it tell you when objects on new layers are added? If so, you could use that to narrow down where they are.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!