BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Fill Selection Slow Downs

ksjhawk
Enthusiast
Odd recent problem. I have been working in a plan for the last few days without issue. I have presentation fills that were turned off. Now that I have walls in the right location, I am adjusting these presentation fills to match my new wall locations. Most overtime I pick one of these fills though, I get the rainbow beach ball for 10 seconds or so. When I try to add to or adjust the edge of a fill, another spinning beach ball. Each move with the fill selected causes a beach ball and slow downs.
This isn't anything we don't normally do. I have tried adjusting the redraw options and anti-aliasing options, how often the file autosaves, changing the fill from a 100% fill to a solid, thinking it was trying to compute a pattern. Restarted of course. Only thing left is to reinstall. Anyone else been here?
MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 12.4
AC26 - AC6.5
3 REPLIES 3
Thomas Holm
Booster
ksjhawk wrote:
... Most overtime I pick one of these fills though, I get the rainbow beach ball for 10 seconds or so. When I try to add to or adjust the edge of a fill, another spinning beach ball. Each move with the fill selected causes a beach ball and slow downs. ...
Check if you've by accident turned on Trace&Reference?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
ksjhawk
Enthusiast
yeah...checked that too...such a great feature, too bad the software can't keep up when its enabled. The problem seems to have subsided some. It really is at its worst when I am altering a fill and try ti snap to an implied intersection between a fill and something it crosses (ie. another fill or wall). For awhile though, I was getting the beach ball every step.

Thank you...
MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 12.4
AC26 - AC6.5
Thomas Holm
Booster
Just a tip:
- Avoid complex fills, bitmapped and gradients.
- preferably use only the simple percentage fills or simple hatches and cross-hatches.
- avoid transparent fills (check that the background pen is not transparent)
- avoid overlapping fills

And check that you do not save views with Trace&Reference on, especially with Layout as Reference. (if you save views with T&R on, it will turn on every time you recall that view)

If you need to have T&R on, you can set it that fills, placed figures and bitmapped pictures do not show.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!