BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Fill timber sections with an 'x'

jamespage11
Participant
Hi.

Has anyone else worked out a quick and easy way to do this?

(see picture)

The convention, in South Africa at least (not too sure about the rest of the world), for showing new timber in section is with a cross from corner to corner, but I have to touch up "by hand" all my purlins, rafters, wall plates, etc, etc, etc in section and it can be a bit tedious. I thought I might be able to create a new fill that could stretch to fill the cut surface rather than tile, but that doesn't seem to be possible.

Any suggestions?

untitled.JPG
Cape Town, South Africa

AC 24
Windows 10
Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz
NVidia GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
15 REPLIES 15
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
jamespage11 wrote:
The convention, in South Africa at least (not too sure about the rest of the world), for showing new timber in section is with a cross from corner to corner[]. Any suggestions?
Try modelling the framing with OBJECTiVE. Many of the timber objects bundled with the software provide an option to show a single or double line in section (see image).
TimberSection.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
jamespage11
Participant
Thanks Ralph for the suggestion. That's exactly what I want to do!

But $300 is a bit steep just to hatch a few timber sections (although I'm sure the software does a lot more than that too.)

Surely there must be an easier (cheaper) way to do this in ArchiCAD itself?
Cape Town, South Africa

AC 24
Windows 10
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It can be done with complex profiles. And I know it has been discussed here before as I was part of one of the conversations. Try a search with complex profiles and top plates and/or studs.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
But $300 is a bit steep just to hatch a few timber sections (although I'm sure the software does a lot more than that too.)
Try this exercise:

Estimate how much time you typically would spend per project manually adding cross lines to plan/section drawings (and make allowance for manually adjusting these lines when the client wants 'minor changes' late in the documentation process) and multiply this by your standard hourly rate for drafting/documentation.

I suspect you will find that the investment pays for itself by the first project, without even considering all the other features.
kombibob wrote:
Try this exercise:

Estimate how much time you typically would spend per project manually adding cross lines to plan/section drawings (and make allowance for manually adjusting these lines when the client wants 'minor changes' late in the documentation process) and multiply this by your standard hourly rate for drafting/documentation.

I suspect you will find that the investment pays for itself by the first project, without even considering all the other features.
Except if he's billing hourly, he'll LOSE money by being efficient.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Except if he's billing hourly, he'll LOSE money by being efficient. Wink
Depends on how you determine your hourly rate - if you are being realistic, it should include for operational costs, including software upgrades and subscription.
kombibob wrote:
Except if he's billing hourly, he'll LOSE money by being efficient. Wink
Depends on how you determine your hourly rate - if you are being realistic, it should include for operational costs, including software upgrades and subscription.
Okay, guess I should have said "He'll make LESS money by being efficient."
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
jamespage11
Participant
Thanks Link, I had done a search before posting and saw some things about using custom profiles, but it would still be nice if there was a simple fill that could be streched rather than tiled, or something to that effect, which could be used with all ArchiCAD elements; the curtain wall, roof wizard, objects, beams, slabs etc; rather than always having to model up any timber I need with custom profiles.

And thanks Richard, I had a laugh despite it going over some people's heads..
Cape Town, South Africa

AC 24
Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd be very keen to learn how to do this as well. I believe it is achievable in Revit.
Learn and get certified!