Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Foundation below grade dashed in elevations (new take)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have seen this discussed here:
archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=7210

and other threads what i an wondering is if it is possible to set the grade mesh cut fill to have a white line foreground and a transparent background.
So that you don't have to draw in a 2d fill over the section/elevation where you want it dashed below grade.

it would be part of the model (mesh)

I can't seem to get the cut fill to be transparent background maybe not possible.
1 REPLY 1
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Mo,

I've always used the method James' described in that thread.

Your suggestion seemed brilliant, but I'm not sure how it could work. First, I had no problem making the background fill for my diagonal cut fill be transparent. (But, it means that I cannot show the ground, either since the mesh is now a white diagonal cut fill.)

I did have to right click and use Display Order to bring the terrain mesh to the front for the effect to work.

But, I'm not sure how this would work in practice. Normally, the foundation elements are solid element subtracted from the terrain - probably with other invisible slabs to create crawl spaces, or to allow for sand/gravel, basements, etc. Without this subtraction, 3D section views will not look correct if one wants to see the grade. With the subtraction, the grade does not overlap the foundation elements, and so the diagonal fill would not create the illusion of dashed lines...

Maybe there's some other way to make this work and avoid the 2D fills?

But, anyway, I had no trouble selecting the transparent 'pen' for the background for a vectoral mesh cut fill.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB