BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Getting a Z Value from a node point

Anonymous
Not applicable
is there anyway i cant get a Z value or Real Level Value from a node point say from a roof plane...

i wanna be able to click on different points on my roofs and be able to give the surveyor actual RL heights.

auto cad does it. surly archicad can??????
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is beginners stuff

Read "reference levels" in archicad help & use level dim tool
Anonymous
Not applicable
level dim tool.. how dumb do i feel
Barry Kelly
The level dimension tool with the gravity set to roof will give you the hieght to the top surface of the roof at any point (in plan).

The elevation dimension style will give you heights in elevation.

These will place a dimension which you will need to delete if you just want to question the height.

The tracker in elevation will give you feedback for height without having to place a dimention.

Also if you have the roof selected and the roof tool active you can CTRL-click on any node and you will be given the level for the top and bottom surface of the roof at that point.
Be careful though because if you alter the figures you will change the roof.
You can add new nodes at any point by temporarily cutting a hole in the roof, enquire the height and then delete the hole.

And don't forget the "Create roof level lines" command in the Design menu.
It won't allow you to find the height of a particular location but instead shows you location of a particular height on the top or bottom surface of a roof as a separate line.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
The level dimension tool with the gravity set to roof will give you the hieght to the top surface of the roof at any point (in plan).

The elevation dimension style will give you heights in elevation.

These will place a dimension which you will need to delete if you just want to question the height.

The tracker in elevation will give you feedback for height without having to place a dimention.

Also if you have the roof selected and the roof tool active you can CTRL-click on any node and you will be given the level for the top and bottom surface of the roof at that point.
Be careful though because if you alter the figures you will change the roof.
You can add new nodes at any point by temporarily cutting a hole in the roof, enquire the height and then delete the hole.

And don't forget the "Create roof level lines" command in the Design menu.
It won't allow you to find the height of a particular location but instead shows you location of a particular height on the top or bottom surface of a roof as a separate line.

Barry.
AHH thats exactly what i was after.. i didnt have Z turned on in my tracker
thanks. thats perfect
Barry Kelly
Barry wrote:
Sorry I meant the co-ordinate palette.
Just read the "Y" position as you move the cursor around - this will give the height above project zero.

The tracker doesn't have a "Z" height in elevation (or am I missing someing?) and of course only activated when you want to draw or move something.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
... You can add new nodes at any point by temporarily cutting a hole in the roof, enquire the height and then delete the hole....
Rather than cutting and deleting holes to get heights at points within the roof (in Plan view), you can add a hotspot at the point you want the height and command-click (Mac) the hotspot with the Roof Tool selected (as Barry described) to get the Roof Elevations dialog box.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Erika Epstein
Booster
David wrote:
, you can add a hotspot at the point you want the height and command-click (Mac) the hotspot with the Roof Tool selected (as Barry described) to get the Roof Elevations dialog box.
David
You don't need a to add a hotspot, just ctrl/cmd+click at the point you want with the roof selected.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Barry Kelly
David wrote:
, you can add a hotspot at the point you want the height and command-click (Mac) the hotspot with the Roof Tool selected (as Barry described) to get the Roof Elevations dialog box.
David
Along the edges of the roof this is quite true.
I was thinking more in the centre of the roof plane hence the need for the hole.

"Erika Epstein wrote:
"You don't need a to add a hotspot, just ctrl/cmd+click at the point you want with the roof selected.

But as Erika points out you can crtl/cmd+click any where insde the roof plane to get the height.
Except if it happens to be over a node or edge of another element (such as a wall or column) or along the edge of the roof.
Then you are back to adding a hole to get temporary nodes or adding extra node along the edge as David mentioned.
At least that is my experience.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Barry wrote:
Sorry I meant the co-ordinate palette.
Just read the "Y" position as you move the cursor around - this will give the height above project zero.

The tracker doesn't have a "Z" height in elevation (or am I missing someing?) and of course only activated when you want to draw or move something.

Barry.
in the 3D window, i got Z in the tracker to do what im after
Learn and get certified!