BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Graphic Override on lining only of composite wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

Is there a way to specify a cut fill graphic override to affect the lining of a composite wall only and leave the core element with its original cut fill?

For example, I have precast concrete walls which are lined with studs, insulation, and plasterboard. I would like the concrete part of the composite to show with it's original cut fill, but I would like to override the rest with a solid white fill, so that the insulation and plasterboard cut fill are hidden.

I have tried doing this by excluding the 'concrete - structural' fill from the override rule, but that seems to exclude the entire composite wall from the rule rather than just the concrete part, so the insulation and plasterboard cut fills are still showing.

I would prefer to not have to resort to drawing this as two separate walls. Surely there's a way to avoid this?
6 REPLIES 6
Lingwisyer
Guru
Not with GOs. They do not break down components into their sub-components (unless that was changed in AC22). What would be nice would be if you could specify a composite as a GO. There are a few threads on this topic, I will see if I can find them.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Lingwisyer
Guru
You could try Erwin's workaround using pens in this thread.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
It is not possible with GOs but maybe with the pen workaround Ling mentioned.

This may not be the solution you are after, but I just wanted to make sure you are aware of Partial Structure Display, where you can turn off the fills and finish skins of a composite entirely.

It would be great if we could have the option for a skin type GO.
I might make a wish for that if there isn't one already.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Barry wrote:
I might make a wish for that if there isn't one already.

I didn't see one, so I made one.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=62318

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone.

The pen set solution will have to do for now. This is how we have always done it pre MO, I was hoping to avoid it as a big advantage of MO is the reduction of pen sets.

Thanks for making it a wish Barry. I can't think of any reason why the core / finish / other status wouldn't be provided as an option for a MO filter, almost every other element parameter is.

And yes, I'm aware of the ability to hide finishes, which I have already done for the plasterboard. However, for our primary wall setout drawings we usually show structural precast / concrete block walls with their original cut fills, but then show the outline of stud walls and linings with a dashed line and an empty/white fill instead of insulation.

Even though I can use pen sets to make the insulation white/hidden, I can't change the outline of the stud lining to be dashed without affecting the structural part of the wall as well, so I'm still going to be forced to draw it as two separate walls rather than a composite. Not the end of the world, but a simple MO option to override finishes and others but leave core as is would fix this
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
GO is very crude, for example if you override based on a surface, the whole element (which might have more than one surface) gets overridden. Overriding surfaces of individual bits of windows / doors is simply not possilbe (for example glass or the frame). A further development of this tool would be most welcome.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!