Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Grid snap does not work properly in AC15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad 15 grid does not work properly.

For example i have 1'x1' grid. My grid snap is on, and is set to snap to construction grid.

I click at the edge of a wall and move it down 1 grid space. Instead of moving it down by 1' at 90 degrees, it other angles.

and when i zoom in, i can see that it didn't snap at the grid, but the snap point is a little off.

Has anyone faced this problem?
32 REPLIES 32
Karl Ottenstein
Are you sure that your grid is not rotated?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
cfrb11:

If the wall is selected at a non-grid node (a grid node is where two grid lines intersect), the wall will get dragged to a grid node (a wall can be selected at any point with the Grid Snap on). One solution is to turn off Grid Snap and drag the wall the input distance to avoid this problem.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes i checked everything. the grid is orthogonal. In 14 for example you cannot snap to any other space other than the grid. in 15 it can snap to other points beside the grid even when grid is on

See attached
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is the expected working method.
I suppose you click the starting point of the drag vector, activate the Grid, then the end point of the drag vector will always fall on the Grid. The dragging vector will be calculated from the two clicked points.
If you first activate the Grid, then provide the starting and ending points then you should get the expected result.
Or you can specify the end node of the wall as the starting point of the drag vector.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi laszlonagy

I have worked in archicad 12 13 14, and in all once you have the grid - snap to construction points - turned on, it only snaps to the intersection of grid.

Here it snaps to weird points in between grids. I have turned off all other snaps, like snap to element etc.
I would urge you to try this out in 14 and 15 and observe the difference. It makes working considerably slower especially when I am developing initial concepts.
for example if i want to move a wall by 3 feet, i just move 3 grids, rather than entering the number every time.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
I don't know if it is a feature or a bug: in AC 15 you can select elements that are not on the grid when the grid snap is active, you cannot do this in earlier versions.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Good observation David, I did not know that.
This is indeed true and it was not possible in earlier versions. So this is why it works differently in AC15.
Actually, I like the way it now works in AC15 better and it makes more sense to me.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello laszlonagy and David,

thanks for taking your time in looking into this situation.
In previous versions you can select walls, slab etc that are not aligned with the grid if you click on the middle.

The problem is in 15, it snaps to random locations that are not on the grid even when the grid snap is turned on. and the wall or slab is aligned with the grid.
Whats the point of choosing snap to grids when it does not work? I might as well just keep the snap to grid off. So this is a bug.

to test this bug you can make make a gird 1'x1' , choose snap to construction point, and draw a wall while grid is on. then select the wall and move it down. do this in both 14 and 15. (see illustration)

in previous versions the walls moves down by 90 degrees, but in 15 it will move down at weird angles... 88.4, 75.7 etc.. So this creates inaccuracies through out the drawing.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The difference between AC14 and AC15 that in AC15 now the smart cursor senses the reference line of the Wall even when Snap Grid is ON. I think this is a good thing and an added functionality.
So the thing to do is when you define the starting point of the drag vector make sure your cursor is not over the reference line of the Wall (the cursor shape is not a mercedes sign) and it will snap to the construction grid. You just have to do it a little bit differently.