BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Guidelines in v15 worse than v14 (annoyed)

Cary Westerbeck
Newcomer
Hello,
Despite using the "force guidelines" key (found here on the forum) and learning how to use the v15 guidelines, I'm finding it's still a step backward.

In v14 I could get guidelines to pop up on ANYTHING I hovered over. V15 forced guidelines don't "see" some things that v14 did see. Often, I can't get v15 guidelines - regular with handles or forced - to see a node and therefore I can't get a guideline so that I can line something up. This causes me to have to go back to old AC techniques where I have to stop my operation and then draw a 2D line that I can then snap or align to. This is a HUGE step back from v14. Maybe v14 guidelines were overactive, but I'd rather have too many guidelines than not enough.

The other place v14 guidelines were handy was with dimensioning. In v14 you could click a wall point and then hover over a parallel wall for a second then go back to the first wall and v14 would then show a perfectly perpendicular line between the two walls or lines! This was very handy for site plans and other places where there weren't easy nodes handy. I was so happy when I discovered this in v14 and then they took it away again in v15.

I'm tempted to go back to using v14. I wish I wouldn't have spent the money on v15 right now. I'm not seeing enough improvement between v14 and 15 that it was worth the cash. Instead it has slowed me down!

Now that you've had a while with v15 what are your thoughts? Convince me v15 is an improvement despite my annoyance with guidelines (?).
8 REPLIES 8
matthewjj
Newcomer
I LOVE GUIDES but I am going to have to agree with you. I too have tried to get used to the new method but it slows me down.

I appreciate the ability to control which "nodes" react to the guidelines but I used to be able to just go to the mid point of anything and then a perpendicular line would pop up immediately. Now I have to hover on the edge, press the little circle thing, go back to the mid-point and then it will show me the perpendicular guide.

One last thing that is driving me crazy, I used to be able to hit escape and all the guidelines would delete. Now I have to right-click and select "Remove All Guidelines".

The only problem I would have fixed was the vague method of certifying you wanted to use certain guideline when they popped up, the "Hover & Rub" thing always seemed like an unfinished thought. The little circle thing fixes that. Go back to the old way for everything else (for 2D at least).
matt johnson
archicad since 2004
imac 27, 4.2 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, radeon 575 4 GB, macOS 10.14.6
imac, 4.0ghz i7, 16gb ram, Radeon M9 390 2GB, OS X El Capitan
Arcadia
Booster
Yes new guidelines are a step back. I started a similar thread on this a few days ago you might be able to find too.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
matthewjj wrote:
One last thing that is driving me crazy, I used to be able to hit escape and all the guidelines would delete. Now I have to right-click and select "Remove All Guidelines".
You can assign a keyboard shortcut for this command (I use option+escape).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Stress Co_
Advisor
David wrote:
matthewjj wrote:
You can assign a keyboard shortcut for this command (I use option+escape).
"Q" is the default assigned to "show/hide guidelines".
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree - the guidelines in AC15 are definitely worse - I hardly use them now.

For those users who like the new way they operate, perhaps they can help us understand why they like the 'improvements'. I'd like AC16 to have an option so users can choose to use the classic guidelines methods or the newer method(as some people seem to like them, though I can't see how)
Tom Krowka
Booster
I liked the old version also, although it may be because I haven't figured out how to use them. They don't seem to work as shown on the tutorials or the webinar. My blue lines always go the project origin rather than x or y orthogonally, no x or y axis designations.....pretty confusing and a bit too much input required in my opinion. I liked automatic guide lines better.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Arcadia
Booster
Mark wrote:
I agree - the guidelines in AC15 are definitely worse - I hardly use them now.
How can you not use them? They are essential to working in the 2D window surely? Despite their shortcomings its still quicker working with them than not.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
i agree with all of you that is guideline in 2d is worse than ever that is why i am keeping archicad 14 and still using it with crying on features like shell will be lost.
I think we should add that to wish list necessarily to avoid the same mistake in archicad 16 hope anyone of graphisoft feel our pain.
Learn and get certified!