Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hole in fill pattern

Tom Krowka
Booster
How do I create a fill pattern with a hole, or multiple holes in it. I will be using the pattern as shading on a site plan.

Thanks
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
6 REPLIES 6
Do you mean the fill element has holes? Draw a polygon on it with it selected. You can drag-copy, mirror, and multiply holes: select the hole by an edge instead of a node. Holes that meet the edge will need to be done with the pet-palette subtract, or you get 'invalid polygon or hole intersects edge'. True for all polygons.

Or do you mean the fill pattern has repeating transparent geometry? Enlarge the element and get more holes automatically? No go. Interesting, though.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
...Or do you mean the fill pattern has repeating transparent geometry? Enlarge the element and get more holes automatically? No go. Interesting, though.
This could be done (sort of) with a library part. Interesting, yes. But what is it for?
Tom Krowka
Booster
Picture this. A big square which is the area which will be filled with a standard fill pattern. There is a circle in the middle of the square which I don't want to be filled. This pattern is in a site plan, it has no 3d value and will be visible only in plan.

I can't figure out how to do it. The fill pattern will fill in the circle, no how I select or group or ungroup the elements.

There must be an easy way to do this.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Draw the fill square.

Draw a circle on it with the circle tool.

Select the fill and activate the fill tool. (Tip: On the edge or corner of the fill, shift-click option-click. (Alt on windows) Now you have the elements selected and the tool active. Quick.)

Magic-wand inside the circle, or on the edge of the circle.

You could also use pet-palette subtract with the magic wand.

Lose the circle if you want.

HTH,
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Djordje
Ace
Tom wrote:
How do I create a fill pattern with a hole, or multiple holes in it. I will be using the pattern as shading on a site plan.
Make the original fill. Select it.

With the polygon fill on, click on a point of the perimeter of the circular hole. then choose the circle method from the pop-up palette, click on the center, finish the circle.

The hole is there.

Select the hole by Mercedes clicking on its perimter, multiply or drag a copy/mutiple as needed.

The above works in ArchiCAD 8.x

HTH,
CircularHole.jpg
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Tom Krowka
Booster
Thanks to all.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com