Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hor&vert lines-shift key problems

KeesW
Advocate
Why is that sometimes my shift key no longer contrains my lines to hor or vertical? I am going along using a continuous line to trace walls with a thicker line and all is well with the shift key. Then a new segment of the same line suddenly refuses to constrain and I have to stop the operation. I've done nothing to cause this - it just suddenly goes wonky.

GGRRR!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
KeesW wrote:
Why is that sometimes my shift key no longer contrains my lines to hor or vertical? I am going along using a continuous line to trace walls with a thicker line and all is well with the shift key. Then a new segment of the same line suddenly refuses to constrain and I have to stop the operation. I've done nothing to cause this - it just suddenly goes wonky.

GGRRR!
If your cursor is closer to a previous point in the continous line, you will find it will constrain to that point rather than the last point you placed.

Or do you have a custom mouse constraint active - these can be annoying sometimes.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
KeesW
Advocate
Thanks for your suggestion. However, neither of these apply.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
__archiben
Booster
KeesW wrote:
it probably is your custom constraint (what does it say in the box in Options>Preferences...>Mouse Constraints & Methods ?).

what i find helps in this situation is to try and constrain the exact opposite to the way you intend (i.e 180º), and then bring the mouse to the original direction . . .

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Djordje
Ace
KeesW wrote:
Why is that sometimes my shift key no longer contrains my lines to hor or vertical?
You set a custom angle by choosing a parallel or perpendicular constraint from the Control box some time ago. The only way to correct it is to set another one, or to go to where Ben The Beta Champ pointed you and set the values as needed.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen