BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Hotlink Module doesn't adapt to Elevation when moved

Elias_RundP
Participant

Hello, we have a case, where we have one hotlink module we would like to use in different heights of the site, since the site aquires for different entrance levels. Since the Ceiling above should be level on one elevation, we need the walls module to adapt in height to accomodate for that. (See Picture 1)
The Walls of the module are linked to the ceiling of the upper level, since they are adapting to the changed elevation of the host and the setting for that is enabled (See picture 2)

The Problem now is, that the module in the right which reprecents the second placement of that module, was moved manually to the new elevation of the site and now doesn't adjust the linked top to the elevation +1 anymore (see missing red space).

If I create a new elevation to adjust for the drop in height of the site, the module will only adjust to the next higher elevation. (see 3rd module)

Is there a fix for that or a setting for that, any workaround or is that something I have to create a second module for?

Thanks in advance!

Elias_RundP_0-1689070050523.png

Elias_RundP_1-1689070198103.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Elias_RundP
Participant

Thank you for all the answeres! The solution for me was to move the modules that are a smaller height up from the elevation instead of moving the taller modules down underneath the elevation like in my previous post. So now they can adjust to the host, because all of them are in one elevation. If your 0.00 Elevation is in the middle of the heights of your modules tho, and not like in my project on the lowest point, that won't be the solution i'm afraid.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cuba
Advocate

The module will only adjust to the floor height of the host not the offset. You could put an extra wall on the module to match that level. Or place the module and adjust the height settings of the walls after a break hotlink.

Apple M1 Max 32 GB Ventura
AC27

The problem with creating and managing duplicate modules with pretty much the same information is that you would need to go around copy-pasting from one module creation file/story/selection to the other every time you make a change to the basic design. Which goes against the idea of avoiding repetitive modeling, which results in forgotten repetitions the moment the modeler needs to pick up a phone call. 

One way of avoiding that is publishing several partial modules from your source unit model (from the same module creation story for unit type B2 you could publish two modules using different layer combinations for, in this case, the floor-walls-equipment B2-flor.mod, and ceiling-ceiling equipment, B2-ceil.mod); and then place those two modules separately on the file; strictly speaking you only need to do this for the atypical condition/s, and for the typical condition you could keep the all-layers publishing view for B2.mod).

Assuming the taller walls don't require taller doors and windows then the extra wall length could be a short walls on some special layer/rehabilitation status, or perhaps on its own design option from AC27 on. Or if the walls will all change, then maybe having a partial module with walls only (and you could just copy all walls from the typical module creation story, paste them onto a taller atypical module creation story, and publish B2-wall.mod from there). Every situation is different but you get the idea of the intent and the tools available. The apparent disadvantage of the more complicated initial setup (it is nothing really) will pay for itself with the first design change in B2. 

[There could theoretically be an intermediate option where with every design change you show all layers, copy-paste everything to the taller module creation story just to create a B2-tall.mod, or B2-4,50.mod; but that would require a design where all elements are able to self-adjust to the new story height, and users remembering to copy-paste and republish B2-tall.mod with every tiny design change, which will not happen; someone will modify the model on the taller module creation story instead of the typical one, etc., and soon everything will be an untraceable unmanageable mess.]

Lingwisyer
Guru

Sometimes when I module a repetitive section of a building, I do not include the boundary walls, as in this case, sometimes they vary in height, or more common, they vary in build up depending on the neighbouring rooms.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Solution
Elias_RundP
Participant

Thank you for all the answeres! The solution for me was to move the modules that are a smaller height up from the elevation instead of moving the taller modules down underneath the elevation like in my previous post. So now they can adjust to the host, because all of them are in one elevation. If your 0.00 Elevation is in the middle of the heights of your modules tho, and not like in my project on the lowest point, that won't be the solution i'm afraid.

Learn and get certified!