BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hotlinked morph rotated issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I'm experiencing what fells like a bug: I created a morph > saved it as a hotlink mod file > inserted it in a pln file > rotate the morph in a section. Then, when I resave the mod file and update the hotlink, the morph undo the rotate I did.

Can anybody please confirm this issue?
Or this is the standard behavior for hotlinked morphs?

cheers,

Paulo
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
The morph in your host file is not really a morph (well it is of course) but it is actually your module.
Modules can be rotated in plan and they will remember that rotation when you modify the original module file and update in the host.

But you are rotating the morph (module) in section (3D).
The fact that Archicad allows you to do this I would consider as a bug, as you should not be able to edit a module in the host file.
You would need to do the rotation in the original morph file - but this will affect all placed instances of the morph if you update them.

If I get a chance later I will experiment, but I am pretty sure this may be your problem.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
I have had a couple of occasions where Hotlinks have bugged out and allowed me to edit them within the host file. These changes are temporary though (unless you explode the hotlink), as even without a modification, reloading the modules will reset it. I have only experienced this in AC22 so far.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Barry and Ling for your time.

@Barry
I was aware that modules can't be edited in the host file.
If I have a mod file with a morph and some other tool (beam for instance) it can't be 3d rotated.
But I noticed some time ago that if the mod file has just one or more morphs, it allows me to rotate it in 3d.
At first I was very pleased, as it seems logic and very handy, once you can avoid multiple similar mods just to handle specific positions in the project.
It probably has born as a bug. But surely has the potencial to become a great feature!

@Ling
I am experiencing this erratic behavior of module files too.
When things get stalled I do an "Open & Repair" of the pln and everything gets right.
Except for this 3d rotated morph modules.

Anyway... I'll follow Barry's lead and duplicate the module for specific rotation and wait for some GS feedback.

Cheers,

Paulo
Lingwisyer
Guru
If it is just a single morph, why not just save it as an object? Re-save, reload, viola. Cannot remember if objects made like this have 3-axis rotation by default though...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lingwisyer wrote:
Cannot remember if objects made like this have 3-axis rotation by default though...
No. Objects can't be 3d rotated on the fly... You'd need some GDL bypass/workaround for this.
Too bad when you need a repeated piece/morph/object that will assume multiple positions in a project.
Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you for posting this on the forums.

Technically, the Morph should not be rotated to begin with. (What Barry mentioned is correct)

Nonetheless, I have opened an official investigation into this.

Once I find out more about this, I will let you know here with a new post.

Thank you once more, and I wish you a great day!

Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the attention Ghaleb.

For the record: I don't mind being able to rotate the hotlinked morph. If there is any chance of converting this "issue" to a feature would be great. If possible: just fixing the update hotlink error would be fine.

Best Regards,

Paulo
Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Thanks Paulo for the info.

It is duly noted, and I will make sure to share it with the development team.

Have a great one!

Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

We checked the issue out and deduced it is indeed a bug. It should not behave like that.
We notified the development team, and we added a new entry in our system.

I would like to personally thank you for your contribution and effort to let us know about this issue.

I hope we will get it fixed soon!

I wish you a great day!
Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!