BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How To Render A Sketch Watercolor Image

kittonian
Beginner
I am familiar with the sketch render engine and for photo realism I export out to C4D and use either Maxwell or VRay, however I am trying to achieve the look of the attached image and cannot figure out a workflow that would allow me to accomplish this.

I have seen the "do a watercolor render in archicad" tutorial but that is nowhere near the quality of what the image I have attached achieves.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

Arch-Drawing.jpg
ArchiCAD 25 | Cinema 4D R23
12-Core Mac Pro (2 x 3.46 6-Core Xeon, 64GB DDR3)
OS X 11.2.3
AMD Sapphire Pulse Radeon 5700 XT (8gb)
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
I assume that the tutorial you found was the one that overlays a sketch render on a Photoshop watercolor filter version of a render?

Your example is of course a true watercolor. Short of more Photoshop work (e.g., use a scan of an actually watercolor painted sky for the sky etc) -or actually painting - people in the past have used Piranesi to digitally paint the image. ArchiCAD outputs the model as a Piranesi file which lets you apply strokes to surfaces, materials, and depths. It requires artistic skill: not an automatic rendering solution.

Piranesi still works - but as far as I can tell, no work at all has been done on the product to keep it up-to-date:
http://www.piranesi.co.uk/Announcement20110112.pdf
It seems any new features and compatibility with new software versions is only in the Japanese version.

Examples here:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOS1OH6FG795h8GX5ZshoC2yVftqXVgspiFG8GTlmCrPOzhQQaYkETyUjeVXVLr...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
kittonian
Beginner
Thanks Karl. Yes, the overlay tutorial is what I was mentioning. I also looked into Piranesi this morning but as you said it hasn't been developed since 2013 so that seems to be out.

I don't mind Photoshop work, it's getting the model itself to look like what I attached. The sketch engine doesn't seem to support image based fills, only lines, and short of rendering using Cinerender and then importing into Photoshop to somehow try and use filters, which I can't believe would ever end up looking like what I attached, I'm not sure how to proceed to achieve this result.
ArchiCAD 25 | Cinema 4D R23
12-Core Mac Pro (2 x 3.46 6-Core Xeon, 64GB DDR3)
OS X 11.2.3
AMD Sapphire Pulse Radeon 5700 XT (8gb)
Learn and get certified!