BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

How can i curve the end of a wall?

adrianasofiasm_
Booster

Hi! As you can see in the picture, the wall I drew in CAD slants to allow the glass to rest against it. How can I make a wall slant like that in Archicad? 

I'm new to this program, so forgive me if the solution is obvious. 

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 4.40.45 PM.png

AC27 USA - MacBook Pro 14" - Apple M1 Pro - 16 GB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Karl Ottenstein

I've edited your post to include your screenshot in the post itself (just drag and drop next to your text) so others can quickly see the issue you're facing.

Slanting would be different than what you illustrate which is a curve-cut-from-above on the wall end.   This is not possible (that I can think of) out of the box.  The fact that the radius of your cutting circle is or could be arbitrary makes using a Morph the easiest way to deal with this I think (or a complex profile Column).  Neither will be parametric and so you'd have to remember to modify them if the design changes.  Each will 'clean up' to the adjacent wall surface material differently in different views.

For a Morph, you could just Magic Wand a Morph surface to the white part that is shown after the end of your wall, and then extrude it in 3D to match the wall height.

For a compex profiled column, Magic Wand a fill to that same area and use the fill in the Profile Manager to create a column profile, then add a column with that profile to the end of your wall.

Others no doubt have other ideas... I hope...

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Karl Ottenstein

I've edited your post to include your screenshot in the post itself (just drag and drop next to your text) so others can quickly see the issue you're facing.

Slanting would be different than what you illustrate which is a curve-cut-from-above on the wall end.   This is not possible (that I can think of) out of the box.  The fact that the radius of your cutting circle is or could be arbitrary makes using a Morph the easiest way to deal with this I think (or a complex profile Column).  Neither will be parametric and so you'd have to remember to modify them if the design changes.  Each will 'clean up' to the adjacent wall surface material differently in different views.

For a Morph, you could just Magic Wand a Morph surface to the white part that is shown after the end of your wall, and then extrude it in 3D to match the wall height.

For a compex profiled column, Magic Wand a fill to that same area and use the fill in the Profile Manager to create a column profile, then add a column with that profile to the end of your wall.

Others no doubt have other ideas... I hope...

AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Thanks Karl! That worked just fine!

AC27 USA - MacBook Pro 14" - Apple M1 Pro - 16 GB

That situation should clean up perfectly and with the end of any wall being concave to match the radius of the glass/wall.  Just make the Glass Building Material stronger than the other wall materials.  

SteveJepson_0-1698272969374.png

Its not a good detail anyway.  

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Thanks, Steve.  I didn't realize she was modeling the glass herself with a wall.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You can make the Wall End with the Polygonal Wall geometry method. Just make sure that the Reference Lines of the curved Wall piece and the Polygonal Wall piece join properly and their connection will clean up nicely in 2D.

CurvedWallEnd.png

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!