BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How can i separate interior and exterior walls?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am unable to separate the interior and exterior walls, (I am a rookie) I've tried using the split tool and trim tool which seems to work only sometimes. I'm unsure what to do to fix this issue. I've read online to use layers but i'm not sure what exactly to do.
5 REPLIES 5
jl_lt
Ace
Hi! i would first check the priority of the materials you are using. If the exterior walls are more "solid" like brick, and the interior are just gypsum board, the prority of the brick should be set to a higher number.

Another solution is to have exterior and interior walls in different layers, and then set the intersection priority of the interior wall to number 2 or higher. That way it wont interact with objects set to number.

ill try to post some images later, but this should help
Lingwisyer
Guru
The priority mentioned by jl_lt is in regards to the Building Material's Intersection Priority (Options => Element Attributes => Building Materials)

Ling.

ps. Please select the relevant sub-forum before making a post.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
okay thank you for your help. also where do I change the Sub-forum (sorry I'm really new to this)
Barry Kelly
JosephShin wrote:
also where do I change the Sub-forum (sorry I'm really new to this)

I have moved your post.
Just try to find a relevant section before you make a post (save one of the moderators having to do it later).
Each section has a fairly good descriptions for what they are relevant to.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Generally you would have separate layers for internal and external walls - but you don't need to if that does not suit the way you want to work.
But it will allow you to turn them on/off separately which can be handy.

That won't affect the automatic trimming though (but you can stop it - see below).
As mentioned the strength of the building materials used in the wall composites will control this.
Stronger building materials will cut away the weaker ones.

If your layers have the same intersection priority number, then building materials will trim automatically based on their strengths.
If your layers have different IP numbers, then the automatic trimming will not occur between those layers and the walls will ignore each other (not recommended unless you deliberately want to do this).

Also an IP number of 0 (zero) will mean that elements (i.e. walls) will not trim when in the same layer, otherwise elements in the same layer will always trim based on strengths.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!