Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How can the 2D Section Elevation Refresh be speeded up?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Each time I adjust an object in a Section Elevation View I refresh the image to see the effect of the change. This takes a few seconds.

I do have the Section/Elevation set to show Vectorial 3D Hatching so that the fills of the materials show up.
I have a fairly quick computer and a fairly quick graphics card--both with a good deal of memory.

Thank you,
John
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
johncassel wrote:
Each time I adjust an object in a Section Elevation View I refresh the image to see the effect of the change. This takes a few seconds.

I do have the Section/Elevation set to show Vectorial 3D Hatching so that the fills of the materials show up.
I have a fairly quick computer and a fairly quick graphics card--both with a good deal of memory.

Thank you,
John
Are you using a PLA library or do you have an expanded library so you can edit and add objects.

I noticed in testing that using a PLA library is much quicker when generating elevations.
Problem is you can't easily modify the scripts of existing objects or add new objects without expanding the the library, modifying or adding object, and then re-archive.
A real pain if you do this all the time.

See also this thread.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=31303&highlight=#31303

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Djordje
Ace
johncassel wrote:
Use limited depth S/E so that the whole model does not have to be re-calculated. Also, do the Layer sets where the interior stuff is turned off for the elevations.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Use limited depth S/E so that the whole model does not have to be re-calculated. Also, do the Layer sets where the interior stuff is turned off for the elevations.
Djordje,
Thank you for your advice. As my current project gets more complex rendering Sections/Elevation views takes longer and longer. I do have the limits of the Section/Elevation (depth and length) set to the minimum and all of the interior layers shut off.
Is there anything hardware wise that would make these renders faster?
Thank you,
John
TomWaltz
Participant
Our office makes heavy use of "Temporary sections." We will cut a second elevation that is only 25 or 50 feet long (on a 200+' long building), to look at small segments of it at a time. Cuts down regen time in a BIG way!
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
Also, try without elevation hatching and shadows ...

Zero depth section is lightning fast.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen