BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How do I get a clean chamfered wall corner?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
See attach.
This is a simple polyline wall with three segments.
I tried the wall-end tool which gives me an extra unwanted line in elevation. Same result with a small piece of wall modeled with the polygonal construction method.
Cheers,
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
10 REPLIES 10
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
See attach.
This is a simple polyline wall with three segments.
I tried the wall-end tool which gives me an extra unwanted line in elevation. Same result with a small piece of wall modeled with the polygonal construction method.
Cheers,
Mats
Polygon wall at the junction?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mats,
make all 3 segments with one polygonal wall.
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
The model is being used for 5D so I don't want the small extra wall piece with it's ID (which I as a work around can tag "Hey Estimator dude...disregard this one...").

It has to be "BIM-correct" and still give me a clean join in plan view and I'm allergic to 2D patches.

I'll have some more coffee and maybe I'll come up with something-

/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
any way you have to model this with 3 walls (or one unique polywall).

attached results if you model it with 3 walls. I tried it with 2 normal and one poly or 3 normal with the third one's thickness adapted to the situation both give a good 2D result
Karl Ottenstein
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
The model is being used for 5D so I don't want the small extra wall piece with it's ID (which I as a work around can tag "Hey Estimator dude...disregard this one...").
/Mats
Of course, you can assign a special ID to the tiny wall bits as shown in Til's solution. Too bad the ID field won't allow a text string as long as yours. 🙂

But, if really for 5D, then think about how you would actually build this wall: there is extra labor involved in joining walls at non-90 degree angles, whether frame/timber construction or masonry. So, it almost seems to be a small benefit to have this extra bit - which can have that extra labor cost assigned to it. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rakela Raul
Participant
that corner needs to be a tie column
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
aahatimo
Newcomer
off the subject:
til,
interesting toolbars. checked out your website but can not read french.
what is your archicad bim add on?
thanks!
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Barry Kelly
Mats,
The only way around this to create a "clean" image automatically in plan without having to cover or patch is to create a new composite for the small end wall that is as thick as I have shown in the attached image.
Not sure how this will affect your 5D info but this can be the wall that creates the extra cost for non-standard construction that Karl mentioned.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!