Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to Create Cross or K Bracing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I would like to know how everyone else creates Cross or K bracing between steel columns of buildings.
The bracing's would be either Wi sections(I Beams), Steel Tubing or Angles and around them fire proofing (boxed in layers of gypsum board).
Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joseph
10 REPLIES 10
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
TrussMaker springs to mind. It's in your Extras menu.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
TrussMaker springs to mind. It's in your Extras menu.

Cheers,
Link.
I was hoping this is not the only solution. I would have liked to connect from bottom of a column to the top of another column in 3D. I tried using BEAMS objects in the library but AC9 crashes?! Any other approach, hopefully in 3D?
Thanks,
Joseph
__archiben
Booster
you should be able to use the steel object library elements with no problem in the 3D window . . . the stretchable hotspots allow you to place with centreline accuracy and rotate/stretch to the next column (whether top or bottom). you can then use the cutting planes to clean up the 'plate' if you so wish . . .

if AC's crashing maybe you could give us some more detailed idea of what you're doing and why you think it might be crashing. the procedure above works fine for me.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Djordje
Ace
Joseph,

I use the standard lib parts daily, for all the steel (and ALL the stuff I am doing last year and more IS steel!) structure. Works like a charm.

Beware of the hotspots - you have to catch the correct one for the action required.

As ben said, if you are crashing, there has to be something else!

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Joseph,

I use the standard lib parts daily, for all the steel (and ALL the stuff I am doing last year and more IS steel!) structure. Works like a charm.

Beware of the hotspots - you have to catch the correct one for the action required.

As ben said, if you are crashing, there has to be something else!

HTH,
Please help, still crashing!
I go to 3D window in Open GL mode. I open the Object tools pointing to Steel Beams 9, as soon as I click ok AC9 crashes and a Bug report is sent to GS!! This does not happen in 2D. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Joseph
__archiben
Booster
Joseph wrote:
Please help, still crashing!
I go to 3D window in Open GL mode. I open the Object tools pointing to Steel Beams 9, as soon as I click ok AC9 crashes and a Bug report is sent to GS!!
try narrowing it down a little:

does it crash when you're using the internal engine rather than openGL?

do other objects work when in the 3D openGL window?

and most importantly: have you contacted tech support with your bug numbers and had them get onto it quick smart?

cheers
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
try narrowing it down a little:
does it crash when you're using the internal engine rather than openGL?
do other objects work when in the 3D openGL window?
and most importantly: have you contacted tech support with your bug numbers and had them get onto it quick smart?
cheers
~/archiben
Thanks and I tried the following:
a. It is not openGL dependent, AC9 crashes in internal engine mode also.
b. It happens with any object and only with object tool, when changing from one object to another in the tool setting dialog box (all in 3D).
c. I have sent the bug reports and noted their numbers and have left them a message.
Frustrated and waiting, it is sunday here!
Thanks,
Joseph
p.s. I have the latest patch.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Joseph,
HTH,
Djordje,
I do not understand the charm that one has to figure out the "Angle" between a column and a brace manually to input in settings instead of simply garbing the end of the brace an attaching the brace from bottom end of one column to top of the next column, or am I missing a vital HotSpot?
Thanks,
Joseph
__archiben
Booster
Joseph wrote:
I do not understand the charm that one has to figure out the "Angle" between a column and a brace manually to input in settings instead of simply garbing the end of the brace an attaching the brace from bottom end of one column to top of the next column, or am I missing a vital HotSpot?
you have to do it in two hits: the hotspot in the centre of the beam is the angle rotation and the one in the middle at the end will allow you to stretch it . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t