Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to create a circular railing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello. Im having problems curving a railing so it will be circular. Does anyone know how to do it? Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Two semi circles?

Archicad seems to dislike full circles for a lot of tools (wall, beam, etc).
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Carstenem
Expert
create a profile ( from railing section ) then use a wall + the created profile to draw the circle railing. Then add round columns as posts around the circle railing with the multiply/rotate/distribute option, done !
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Lingwisyer
Guru
As Erwin mentioned, you will need to model it as two semicircles with no extension beyond the end posts. Where the posts overlap, just edit and delete one of the posts. Setting the end posts to invisible could also work.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Carstenem
Expert
Looking at his screen shot he has no railing tool, so it's an older version, hence the profile option.
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com

Barry Kelly
Carstenem wrote:
Looking at his screen shot he has no railing tool, so it's an older version, hence the profile option.
It is Archicad 19 (EDU).
There should be objects for curved railings in the standard GS library.
Also some of the seemingly straight railings may have an option to allow for a curve rather than straight.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
Ah. AC19...

The standard Railing Objects have a curved option. You can set it by the radius of your circle with the angle being 360. It cleans up nicely too, unlike the Railing AC21 Tool...

If you follow Carstenem, you will have more design freedom but you will need to do two semicircular walls with your Profile, and unless your posts are circular, you will need to rotate them to the desired angle too. Small inconveniences for extra freedom.

If you are using a wired balustrade, it may look a bit odd being circular, in which case you might want to go with Carstenem as then you can model it as continuous straight segments with posts on each corner.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ive created a circular rail, using three different semi circles. Thanks for everyone who replied. i dont understand why its so hard to create circular objects in archicad. is it true that cadimage tools helps?
Barry Kelly
Ciaran777 wrote:
Ive created a circular rail, using three different semi circles. Thanks for everyone who replied. i dont understand why its so hard to create circular objects in archicad. is it true that cadimage tools helps?circular railings.jpg
Cadimage may help for Archicad 19 (if you can still get the downloads for that version.
I don't know for sure though as I don't use them.

I don't have Archicad running at the moment, but you should be able to do it with one object (or 2 at the most).
What is the name of the railing object you have used.

If you have the opportunity to upgrade to Archicad 21 or 22, then you will have a new railing tool that is much more versatile (still not perfect and a little more complicated).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Carstenem
Expert
I dito Barry but like to add on, that at the end of the day, there are many solutions to get an end result. As long as you are happy and it looks good, the how won't matter. Your railing looks good !
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com