Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to have flights of stairs overlapped?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have started using AC very recently. I've found base lines of first flight and second flight cannot cross each other for U shaped stairs. It looks very weird to me. It's very common case that they are overlapped vertically for design reason and Revit can do this, of course. Anybody knows how to fix this issue?
11 REPLIES 11
Barry Kelly
Archicad stairs can not overlap within the same stair object.
You will need to create 2 separate stairs.
So you will be able to use one object for flight 1 & 2, but then flight 3 (and 4?) will need to be a separate object.
Or simply a copy and paste of the lower stair if they are the same.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Berry. I'm wondering how to create two separate stairs for some reasons.
First, riser value is usually not "integer."
Second, numbering of 2nd flight will be started from "1" again.
Third, second flight will have a new break mark and direction mark.
Fourth, structure of 1st and 2nd flight will also be separate
Barry Kelly
Can you show an image of the stairs you are trying to achieve.

There are settings in the stair object that allow you to set exact riser height, exact number of risers or have it automatically adjust based on rules that you set.
It all depends on how you want them to work themselves out.

I assume there will be a landing in between flights, so determine at what height you want that and then model the stair from the ground up to that landing.
Then model the second stair from that landing up to your next floor.
Again an image of what you are trying to do will help.

Stair numbering is all adjustable, you can tell the second set of stairs to start numbering from what ever number you want.
Likewise the break mark is adjustable or you can turn it off altogether in one of the stairs.

Yes they will be separate objects but they will be connected via a landing slab (I assume) and you can control the end connections of the stairs.

Watch this movie, it may help although it does not explain what you need to do.
The railing in this example is copied as well but depending on your stair that could be one continuous rail just by clicking all the nodes of the path you want it to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGrNrBm996Q

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your replay, Barry.
I created this stair using revit.
1) Yes, you can set up the height in Stair Default Setting. In this case the number of riser is 16 and the height from lower level to upper level is 3 meters, so you can calculate the level of land exactly. However, what if you should have 17 risers? The landing level will be 1.23529411764.....That's my point.
2) You can make the numbering of 2nd flight start from 8, but what about direction arrow and break mark? The separate stairs will have 2 separate direction arrow and break marks as well.

For these reasons, I am considering creating this irregular stairs (actually not irregular, but very common types of stairs) using Live Connection. Thanks for your kindness and if you find out a good way, please let me know.
Barry Kelly
If your stair is 3000 high you will have a range of risers to choose from.
These are all 3000 high (and all in the same plan at the same time - so you can see the appearance can be manipulated).
The landing will be at the position you want but must be a multiple of the riser height.
If you want the landing at a particular height then model separate stairs from ground to landing and then landing to upper floor.
But you might end up with different riser heights in each flight.

As you can see you can adjust the break mark position or turn it off altogether.
You can also adjust whether you see the visible and/or hidden part of the stair.
Without an image of the stair you are trying to do I am just guessing what you might want.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Barry.
It takes a time, but it works better than expected except that each flight have different riser value and
I have to draw direction manually.
Barry Kelly
Again if you can post an image it will be much clearer as to what you are trying to do.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I uploaded image yesterday. Can't you see that? I can see it from my computer.
Barry Kelly
Space97 wrote:
I uploaded image yesterday. Can't you see that? I can see it from my computer.
No, this is all I see.
Are you using the "upload attachment' link?
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27