BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to: incline crown moulding? Any help or ideas please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everybody, I just joined the forum.
I am on a 30 day trial of ArchiCAD for Mac and I am loving it!
I have hit a road block though, I can't seem to figure out how to make the crown trim at the tops of the walls go up at an inclined angle over the front of the entrance. You can see in the attached images I was able to get a little square piece go up at an angle, but the crown has me stumped..
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable
One option would be to create a custom profile of the crown and apply the profile to an inclined beam. This method has its limitation as you will soon find out when you try to turn the corner at the lower ends.

Another option it a 3rd party plug-in called '3d Profiler' by CADImage
http://www.cadimagetools.com/tools.aspx?id=9

Glad you're enjoying the trial. Good luck.
Dwight
Newcomer
And simply one of numerous situations that should be easily solved but remain elusive to the coding minds in Budapest.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
The one and only Objective is what I use.
http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
Anonymous
Not applicable
Joseph wrote:
The one and only Objective is what I use.
http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
Second That. You can get a trial version too.
TomWaltz
Participant
While Objectiv is a great add-on, it's still an add-on that costs and extra $300 plus the added overhead of administering it (and the possibility of it lagging behind future Archicad updates).

You will find that CADImage's Profiler does not turn corners either. As one of their developers put it, wood wouldn't turn like that either. You need some kind of connector. (I'm not a carpenter, so I cannot dispute that!)

The beam tool meets your sloping trim needs for free.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do not believe this is an issue of inadequate tools or add-ons
but one of geometry. Please do a search using the key words
"raking moldings" and you will get two hits that are discussions
about transitions from level to slope as in rakes and eaves.
Peter Devlin
Dwight
Newcomer
To make the beam tool work as a tilted crown molding is tricky since the tilt distorts the section - you must stretch the section proportional to the tilt.

This is easy with a section having straight segments but difficult when curves are involved.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Objective does allow you to crated the custom profile, Apply and rotate it in elevation or plan view and then "slice" the objects to create a miter cut at the change of direction. Sorta-Kinda like a carpenter with very quiet saw. Wish Archicad could do that out of the box and save 300 bucks but.....
Anonymous
Not applicable
does objective allow the profiles to follow curves?
Learn and get certified!