Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to model a....

Arcadia
Booster
... bullnose verandah. Not sure if this is just an Aus term but it is essentially a verandah made with curved steel roofing sheets. It is easy enough to model this with a complex profile then put a vectorial hatch on it to represent the ribs of the sheeting but being a pedantic bugger I want something more detailed. I use the cadimage roof coverings which actually show the ribs of the sheets accurately. Is there any way to extrude some sort of corrugated profile of a single roof sheet (easy enough if it was straight with complex profile) but have the extrusion curved to the shape I want. I hope I have explained things properly.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
13 REPLIES 13
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Arcadia:

For those of us not familiar with the term, an illustration would really help.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Arcadia
Booster
David wrote:
Arcadia:

For those of us not familiar with the term, an illustration would really help.

David

Yes I should have done this first. See attached pic. Essentially what I want to do is instead of extruding a simple profile horizontally for the length of the verandah that would not include the sheet ribs I want to extrude a complex profile of an individual sheet (the complex profile being the corrugated shape) into the curved shape. Maybe this is possible with the shell tool? I have not used the shell tool yet.
Bullnose.JPG
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Arcadia wrote:
... bullnose verandah./......
Arcadia, you might want to look at this link for 4D Library parts
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Arcadia
Booster
Yeah I already have that part. I actually have my own complex profiles made up though that do a better job. I was trying to achieve a more detailed profile of the sheet as a bit of a design exercise to see how it worked and to get something that matches the 'detailed 3D' setting of the cadimage roof covering.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We've got corrugate metal objects in our ArchiCAD library in NL, they look like they are part of the international library (I can't verify this, as I think we've not been getting the international library shipped with ArchiCAD since 14). Maybe you can clad with them. Possibly a PITA, but it should do the trick. You'll be doing a lot of SEO.

You can do this with shell tool (revolved extrusion), but I tried something similar the other day (copper ridge cover for a thatched roof) and found that it slowed down my drawing a lot (all the nodes). More so than an object with 2d symbol.

Another option would be to model the top layer of your roof a little thicker and SEO a lot of little sheets out of the roof to create the profile.

Personally I would go with a vectorial hatch and call it a day for such a fine detailed extrusion. Sometimes for standing seam systems I model the seams, but as said that's generally a pain in the ... to modify.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Arcadia
Booster
It seems like it is not worth the hassle if there is no simple way to do it. I've just done my current job the conventional way with a complex profile and vectorial hatch.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Arcadia wrote:
It seems like it is not worth the hassle if there is no simple way to do it. I've just done my current job the conventional way with a complex profile and vectorial hatch.
This is easy with OBJECTiVE (freely editable afterward too). Referring to the attached image:
  • 1. Draw the roofing profile with the fill tool
    2. Select the fill and click the menu OBJECTiVE > Component > New Profile. Make a new section profile, and select the preferred name, library, and default length
    3. You can draw the profile directly into a section, overlaying the rest of the model. Because we'll be looking at the profile side-on, it's swivelled around 90 degrees.
    4. Set the placement method by angle and length, and place the profile across the bullnose section.
    5. Use the Bend tool to shape it to the curve (OBJECTiVE > Tools Bend).
    6. In the profile settings, set the end extension to the span of the roof
    7. In plan, use the Split tool to cut the roof sheets to the corner (OBJECTiVE > Tools > Split)
    8. The finished plan
    9. The finished model

Bullnose.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Arcadia
Booster
This is an outstanding looking tool! Its disappointing Graphisoft doesn't build this sort of functionality into Archicad from the start. I'm not sure if its worth the cost of the tool just for this one purpose of creating bullnose sheets but I'll think about other uses for it and I may well give it a go. Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
One really nice thing about Objective is that the update to the next version is free and you don't have to pay to upgrade when you upgrade AC.