BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to model this wall in 3D

Anfz
Participant

Hi, 

I'm trying to model this wall in 3d. It is simply a flat wall with painted triangles on the wall. 

How would you model the painted triangles? 

Each building has a different width so i was hoping something that can be easily modified in 3d. 

Anfz_0-1648291426047.png

Thanks for your help. 

7 REPLIES 7
Rajesh Patil
Expert

Try using curtain wall with custom panel designs. Your provided image is not clear enough to understand. Resend a enlarged and clear one.

Rajesh Patil
AC 09-27 | INT | WIN11 64
Dell Inspiron 7591, Core i9, 9880H 2.30GHz, 16.0GB, NVidia GeForce GTX1650, 4.0GB, SSD Internal 500GB, Dell SSD External 250GB
Hmooslechner
Rockstar

An easy task with morph-faces, drawn in the front-view and then slightly thickend..  Surely, there are other solutions, but this is the "fastest" i know of.  

AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia

I think this video contains a curtain wall design like yours, watch from min 12:00 to 13:50

https://youtu.be/62P9nopWDc4

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

You can model the triangles in one of the colors only (grey and white in the drawing; fortunately for our purposes both sets take the full wall panel width; let's say the grey ones).

If you save that as an object, then you have a stretchy and mirrorable grey-triangles-set object, with which you can quickly cover the other panels. 

But then you have the doors, at least one of which cuts into a grey triangle. So the easy way out is just placing those grey-triangles-set objects say 1 mm in from outside face of wall, on the SEO operator layer, and subtracting with the color defined by the operator (so that grey are the subtracted triangles, white remains the target wall surface).

If the patterns turn the corner at the wall openings, at the jambs, then the object can include those “jamb panel grey surfaces” also. 

Hmooslechner
Rockstar

Another way as mentioned from the others here is the use of the curtainwall-tool of corse - and you can draw your tilings absolute free too, but you have to know much more about this tool to get it working smoothly.  But try it - it is worth the learning-effort !  To draw freely, it can be important to set the scheme bevor starting to draw free to a big measure to get enough space before drawing...

AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
mikas
Expert

To give one more possible approach to this.

You seem to have designed the triangles already, maybe as fills, so you could just copy-paste them to new complex profiles, and use those profiles as 1mm thick coverings. Colors will be according to materials you specify in complex profile manager of course.

Or if millimeter presicion is needed, you could SEO/BOOLEAN them out of ordinar walls so they match the surface perfectly.

This method is good if you need to synchronize or manage many similar panels in project. You just modify this one profile, and every profile updates in the project accordingly. This method is not so usefull if every panel is a little bit different though. You' will end up with too many profiles and might loose count and get confused as a side effect.

AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Anfz
Participant

Thanks everyone, I ended using the morph tool to creat each different trangular section.

Learn and get certified!