Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to paint only one part of wall/slab?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello!

I'm still new to ArchiCAD and I'm struggling to paint the walls and slab inside one room.
My goal is to achieve different tiles in each room but when I use the surface painter every room's tiles change because the slab is interpreted as one big part. The same thing happens when I'm painting a wall.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES 4
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Either split the walls/slabs, or cover them with a thin layer with colour for your presentation.

If you go with 2nd approach, it is best to make a new layer with a seperate intersection group from your main model, to avoid unwanted buildingmaterial connections.

A 3rd option is to hotlink your entire model to seperate presentation PLN files and modify the surfaces per room / render.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I use two different slabs for my projects, I use one that will be everything but the finishing, and other on top of that for the finishing, I work with an interior designer that is very picky and sometimes I have to do that every tile is a slab, in order to play with them and make the pattern he wants, and take measurements. But the simple way if you just want to have different finishes by room, will be, either doing a slab per room, or doing a big slab for the whole floor without finishing, and then adding a thin slab (the thickness of the finishing material) on top of it, and even putting this slabs in a different layer to have more control over floor finishing.

For the wall I found an interesting object that I attach here, is like a face that you will put into the wall with no thickness, and you can add a material to this, and you can resize it. I found it to be very handy, but honestly I don't remember where I found it, I thought it was in archiradar, but can't find it there. But don't worry is free. The only thing I see with this object is that it won't give you the real thickness of the finishing, so you have to add it to the wall composite.
Other way will be using the beam tool or the same wall tool to create a thin layer (again, thickness can be the thickness of material) on the wall, the same concept as the floor, just make sure the material you are using has a high intersection priority.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've started using different thin slabs/walls as you told me and it works pretty well except for one wall which has a window.
The window disappears from the inside's point of view. There's a door as well in the same room and it works nicely.
How can I cut a hole in the thin wall in order to see the window again? Or is there another way?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Use the empty opening of the library