Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

I'm not like the new behavior of rooftool.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The new way of handling roof since AC15 isn't fun at all. Some features are great, but the way of what lines at the bottom of the roof that are 'locked' when changing thickness och angle of roof are making me frustrating. Most of the constructions I have done, the bottom of roof is the 'locked' position and then we are building the roof upwards. But since AC15 the top of the roof is the 'locked' position in xy-plane (but it pending up / down depending of the thickness). ???????????????????? Are there really people that like this new behavior????
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly
I don't quite understand your frustration.
The roof pivot line is on the bottom surface of the roof and this stays constant when you change the pitch or thickness.
The top surface moves as you change the thickness.
Can you post some screen shots of your problem?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Look at attached picture! The prev. versions of ArchiCad, the bottom line of roof has been locked, but this is changed now. Or do I miss something new in the settingstab?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think the Roof Tool has always worked like that.
I just checked it in 6.5 and that is how it worked.

The thickness is measured upward from the Pivot Line and the body of the Roof is thus constructed.
Then the angle of the eaves is measured from the top end of the eaves, not the bottom of the eaves.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
The bottom line of the roof is still passing through the pivot point which is the way it has always been.
The lines you see in plan are the top surface of the roof agiain as it always has been.

Set the edge to vertical (rather than perpendicular) and the bottom surface of the roof will extend to be in line with the front top edge.

There is a new setting in the OPTIONS > PROJECT PREFERENCES > CONSTRUCTION ELEMENTS where you can set the roof to show a true 3D projection or not.
If true 3D projectrion then sometimes you will see both top and bottom lines for the edges which can be a bit confusing - especially as you can still only select the line representing the top surface.
But again setting the edges to be vertical will solve this as the edges will be on top of each other.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sure, the thickness is build upwards (sometimes it's hard to explain what I mean in english). But if you look at my new picture from AC13 (haven't tried in AC14), this is the behavior the rooftool had before. The bottomline of roof is stable (if it's placement are the same as the pivotline) and the topline are moving in xyz-direction.

As it is in AC15 and 16, both lines are moving (the topline in Z-direction and the bottomline in XYZ-direction), because of this it's very hard to do a correct modelling of the roof, you have to tweak both lines everytime you do a change of thickness or angle.
Barry Kelly
I see what you mean now - it is different.
In 14 and before the overall size of the top surface changes (in both plan and 3D) when you change the thickness of the roof.
In 15 & 16 the size of the top surface stays the same and the bottom surface moves.

I would be guessing that because now in 15 & 16 the plan view is based on the new true 3D view that Graphisoft thought it best to keep the plan outline the same so the overall size of the roof does not change.

Whether you see this a s a bug/problem or not would depend on what you want to have.
Do you wnat the top surface to stay constant in size (as it does now in 15 & 16) or do you want the underside to stay as it was covering the wall and the top surface extend as necessary?
Some would not want the top surface area changing - especially if it abutts another structure.
But some (like yourself) will want the bottom of the roof to cover the wall.

If you have the edge of the roof set to perpendicular (as in your case) then it will appear that the underside of the roof is changing and possibly no longer covering the wall as you want it - but the top surface coverage is exactly as it was before.

If you set the edge to be vertical then both the top and bottom surfaces will stay constant in the same position in plan - but the edge of most roof materials will finish perpendicular to the roof so your section will be incorrect in this case.

Unfortunately you may not win - no matter what you do.
And there is no way I am aware of to make it work as it did before.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Ah, yes, you are right.
Yes, probably it was changed in AC15 so that the Roof outline stays the same even when the slope is modified.
Probably has to do with what Barry said: to preserve the outline of the Roof now that the Floor Plan is a true 3D projection.
Anonymous
Not applicable
yepp, I guess it has something to do with that. But now it's a real pain in ..... to get our roof to right position though we can't stretch it in sectionview (we can move).
There should be some MVO to turn the lines of the bottom on. At our office (and many other too), we have a standard buildingsystem where the bottom of the roof are constant laying on a rooftruss / beam and the upperside are depending on the ext. roof.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You should make a wish for it.