BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Inclined Wall

Dwight
Newcomer
battered wall accessory

or

trim overthick wall with two roofs using SEO.
Dwight Atkinson
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can also make it thick and cut it with a Roof with SEO.
Of course in this case it will be that thick on the Floor Plan.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Cheers.
I know there was a Laz Nagy in Australia a couple of years ago, maybe he is still there. Was this 'Cheers' meant to him?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
(1)
laszlonagy wrote:
You can also make it thick and cut it with a Roof with SEO.
Of course in this case it will be that thick on the Floor Plan.

(2) battered wall works for one side only.

canted wall works in both sides. Place the object on the desired wall, and hide that wall's layer.

Unfortunately all of these are palliative solutions for a old problem. Try placing a window in that wall (1) and it will be cut as well. Placing those objects (2) on the wall give us only a empty hole for that window.

Just to to get it worse try intersecting another wall to those sets...
Using roofs won't work well either for this same reason.

GS should give us a real option for that. Maybe an angle option in the Wall Selection Settings.
Dwight
Newcomer
While I completely agree with you that a wall SHOULD have independently tilting faces, and should represent properly in plan view, I use an interesting compromise that takes about as much time to execute as writing a forum complaint does, once you know how to do it.

I've been using a technique for a long time where two roof planes exactly as high as a wall, trimming that wall in SEO are used to build a module. I make the wall have some tone to show its overall thickness and if I need to designate the top of the wall, the ends of the two roof planes do it, or I add a flat wall at the top to fill this gap, altho a simple fill would do as well.

I treat it like a stretchy library element. Once placed, the preset module's Link is broken (as he must be, resting solidly, as he is, in the yoke of marriage, by now) and the wall stretched to length. This broken link module can be placed against dragged copies of itself, retaining all wall joining features.

If you are really clever, to make editing the opposing wall faces easy, you'll create separate SEO layers for the opposing roofs, incorporating the layers into your template, but in my experience, making a range of likely modules from the first setup is the fastest way.

For more flexibility, this trick could be applied to any wall set by making a module from companion roof planes alone. A cutter assembly.

I admit that this gets over complex with curved walls.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight,

sorry, I didn't make myself clear:

by saying "Using roofs won't work well either..." I meant using roofs pretended to be walls.

I aware of this technic you just describe. My point is that any of those are (1) not efficient or (2) to complex for just move the dam wall
Learn and get certified!