BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Inclined slabs

Paopao
Booster
Hi there,
I need to draw a descending slab which is part of a building (the slab of the second floor descends down to the ground floor with a certain inclination): how do I achieve it? I've tried with "roof" but I can't change the thickness. Any idea?

I attach the pic of a building by Mecanoo that is similar to what I want to draw. How can I achive the same result?

thanks
Pao
AC26 EDU • WIN 10 • Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz• 32G RAM• NVidia GForce GTX 1080
5 REPLIES 5
Dwight
Newcomer
mesh?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you can't change the thickness of a "roof" you probably have a Composite selected, rather than a regular cut fill. Composites have pre-set thicknesses.
owen
Newcomer
Paopao wrote:
I need to draw a descending slab which is part of a building (the slab of the second floor descends down to the ground floor with a certain inclination): how do I achieve it? I've tried with "roof" but I can't change the thickness. Any idea?
When you say 'Can't change the thickness' - what do you mean?:

1. You can't change thickness along length of slab (i.e not a uniform thickness)
2. You can't change the thickness at all, but its a consistent thickness along the slab.

solutions:

1. If the upper and lower surfaces of the slab vary (e.g to achieve falls) then you would model the slab as a mesh to create the top surface with a secondary mesh on an 'SEO' layer with its top surface set to form the bottom surface of the slab. You then use SEO's to subtract the bottom mesh from the top.

2. You must have a 'Composite Fill' selected as s2art points out. Composite Fills have their thickness defined as part of the composite and cannot be changed in the element directly. Change to a regular fill.

cheers,

owen
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Paopao
Booster
Thanks for your help guys, I have managed to solve the problem using a mesh. I am still a beginner with Archicad so I didn't know how to use them, now I seem to be able to get along with it the way I want.

thanks again
Pao
AC26 EDU • WIN 10 • Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz• 32G RAM• NVidia GForce GTX 1080
dhaval7shah
Newcomer
if you want sloped slab (and don't want the decrement in thickness) then use 'roof'.
For the problem 'cant change the thickness', the 'cut fill' of roof should not be from 'composite' catagory. change it to any other fill like 'solid fill' or 'efill', then you can change the thickness.
Dhaval Shah
Upto AC 22
iMacs and MacBookPros: Mac OS X (10.6 to 10.12, Intel core 2 Quad to i5, i7, 8 GB to 16GB)
Win 10, AMD Opteron 6-Core x 2, 16GB, FirePro W4100 2GB
& ThinkPad E550
& i7, 8GB
Learn and get certified!