BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Is it possible to edit Sketchup models in ArchiCAD 14 (GDL)

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I'm working on a somewhat complex structure and I can see it taking a very long time to make all the different pieces join together neatly in ArchiCAD, however it's fairly simple in Sketchup(Pro

I can export to SU easily and import the .3ds to ArchiCAD with no problem, the thing is when the library part is converted to GDL, I can no longer edit it in ArchiCAD i.e once SU has finished with it, that's the final outcome.

Unlike when I export AR to SU, SU allows me to 'explode' the pieces and edit them... does AR have an equivalent to this ?

Thank You.
4 REPLIES 4
TMA_80
Enthusiast
well, it had ( only for windows )

there was a plugin which convert Su surfaces into native archicad elements (slabs, roofs walls...etc) but Graphisoft has stopped its developpement from Archicad13 . so if you could access AC12 you could try to see if it work for you.

p.s: I'm glad you've succeded in making this shape in sketchup, now the question is: why you want to edit it in archicad ? as for the time being it'd somehow difficult....
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
TMA_80 wrote:
well, it had ( only for windows )

there was a plugin which convert Su surfaces into native archicad elements (slabs, roofs walls...etc) but Graphisoft has stopped its developpement from Archicad13 . so if you could access AC12 you could try to see if it work for you.

p.s: I'm glad you've succeded in making this shape in sketchup, now the question is: why you want to edit it in archicad ? as for the time being it'd somehow difficult....
I went back to ArchiCAD SU got to complicated, there were lines all over the place and I would that even though it worked to some degree, there were far too many lines created... I'm getting on OK in ArchiCAD though.

The reason I would need to edit it again in ArchiCAD is to add more elements, because I've not drawn each plane yet... but ArchiCAD has the outlines.

Off-topic but when I go into 3D and orbit in ArchiCAD, instead or actually orbiting about the centre, it pans instead. It's like the orbit centre point is way off... How can I fix this?
TMA_80
Enthusiast
when orbitig, do not click on blanck space as it could lead to the issue you have : to avoid this issue

When in perspective mode, go to ( window/toolbar/classic 3d navigation/look to ) and click on a point on the model ( ie a wall , roof..etc) and then, orbting will be around the point you've clicked on.
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
TMA_80 wrote:
when orbitig, do not click on blanck space as it could lead to the issue you have : to avoid this issue

When in perspective mode, go to ( window/toolbar/classic 3d navigation/look to ) and click on a point on the model ( ie a wall , roof..etc) and then, orbting will be around the point you've clicked on.
That seems to work thanks! I didn't know about the 'turn' either which is quite good.
Learn and get certified!