Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Is it possible to edit Sketchup models in ArchiCAD 14 (GDL)

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I'm working on a somewhat complex structure and I can see it taking a very long time to make all the different pieces join together neatly in ArchiCAD, however it's fairly simple in Sketchup(Pro

I can export to SU easily and import the .3ds to ArchiCAD with no problem, the thing is when the library part is converted to GDL, I can no longer edit it in ArchiCAD i.e once SU has finished with it, that's the final outcome.

Unlike when I export AR to SU, SU allows me to 'explode' the pieces and edit them... does AR have an equivalent to this ?

Thank You.
4 REPLIES 4
TMA_80
Enthusiast
well, it had ( only for windows )

there was a plugin which convert Su surfaces into native archicad elements (slabs, roofs walls...etc) but Graphisoft has stopped its developpement from Archicad13 . so if you could access AC12 you could try to see if it work for you.

p.s: I'm glad you've succeded in making this shape in sketchup, now the question is: why you want to edit it in archicad ? as for the time being it'd somehow difficult....
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
TMA_80 wrote:
well, it had ( only for windows )

there was a plugin which convert Su surfaces into native archicad elements (slabs, roofs walls...etc) but Graphisoft has stopped its developpement from Archicad13 . so if you could access AC12 you could try to see if it work for you.

p.s: I'm glad you've succeded in making this shape in sketchup, now the question is: why you want to edit it in archicad ? as for the time being it'd somehow difficult....
I went back to ArchiCAD SU got to complicated, there were lines all over the place and I would that even though it worked to some degree, there were far too many lines created... I'm getting on OK in ArchiCAD though.

The reason I would need to edit it again in ArchiCAD is to add more elements, because I've not drawn each plane yet... but ArchiCAD has the outlines.

Off-topic but when I go into 3D and orbit in ArchiCAD, instead or actually orbiting about the centre, it pans instead. It's like the orbit centre point is way off... How can I fix this?
TMA_80
Enthusiast
when orbitig, do not click on blanck space as it could lead to the issue you have : to avoid this issue

When in perspective mode, go to ( window/toolbar/classic 3d navigation/look to ) and click on a point on the model ( ie a wall , roof..etc) and then, orbting will be around the point you've clicked on.
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
TMA_80 wrote:
when orbitig, do not click on blanck space as it could lead to the issue you have : to avoid this issue

When in perspective mode, go to ( window/toolbar/classic 3d navigation/look to ) and click on a point on the model ( ie a wall , roof..etc) and then, orbting will be around the point you've clicked on.
That seems to work thanks! I didn't know about the 'turn' either which is quite good.