Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Isometric text annotation???

Anonymous
Not applicable
I really like detail drawings like the one attached, in which text and dimensioning appears to be drawn in different planes, then appears properly "distorted" in an isometric view.

Can this be done in AC9? I think the answer is no, but perhaps there have been some recent developments of which I am unaware (only recently upgraded to 9 from 7). Using 3d text would not count as a workable suggestion!

PRECAST.GIF
9 REPLIES 9
TomWaltz
Participant
I don't see any reason you could not model the drawing part, view it in the 3D window in Hidden Line Mode, then copy/paste it into a detail window to note it up.

It won't be linked to the model, but you could probably create a View of it, to keep in case you need to alter the model, the re-cut/paste.
Tom Waltz
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
in which text and dimensioning appears to be drawn in different planes
Seems he's talking about annotation mate.

I vaguely recall a library part that did 'iso-notes', but can't remember where it was available from. I think you could use it in conjunction with copying a marqueed area from a 3D hidden line view as per Tom's post.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, guys. The drawing part I have under control, and use a lot for developing exploded details, as suggested.

But the dimensions appearing in the "picture plane" look funny (i.e. bad) against the isometric object, and frankly, being able to choose which plane to insert text adds another layer of clarity and significance to each note.

I'll try to search for the iso-note part. Wouldn't such a thing most likely relay on 3d text? Sounds clunky to me, but I'll see what I can learn.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
3D Text could work in a nightmarish kinda way.

Don't take the 'iso-note' name too literally, that was simply my nickname, but take a look at objectsonline.com and/or ask David Correia.

Other people may know of this part too and maybe they'll post and let you know.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you may be referring to an object called "3rd Dimension 1.01"
You can find at Objects on Line.
Peter Devlin
__archiben
Booster
RobertNichols wrote:
Thanks, guys. The drawing part I have under control, and use a lot for developing exploded details, as suggested.

But the dimensions appearing in the "picture plane" look funny (i.e. bad) against the isometric object, and frankly, being able to choose which plane to insert text adds another layer of clarity and significance to each note.

I'll try to search for the iso-note part. Wouldn't such a thing most likely relay on 3d text? Sounds clunky to me, but I'll see what I can learn.
you could always try publishing out as dxf and then sketchUp!

not too sure about this, and it's a round-and-a-about way of achieving things, but . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes! Nice idea, Robert!

We should be able to type text in 3D view and align it to different planes!

I have never needed to present an exploded 3D view of my model but it would really be a difficult task to do it in AC properly. All the suggested workarounds are not good because when you rotate the view all the texts become obsolete.

Just for nagging: AutoCAD has this feature since its creation many years ago.
3d text.gif
David Bearss
Booster
Ooooooohh!
3D text!!!
oh that would be really cool!!

Seriously I often send 3D views of framing and foundation plans and my contractors would love 3D notes and text to go along with the views.
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
Karl Ottenstein
kliment wrote:
Just for nagging: AutoCAD has this feature since its creation many years ago.
As do other 3D CADs. This is one of the first things I missed when switching to ArchiCAD. The present solutions are too cumbersome IMHO.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB