Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Issue with Trapezoid Window 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a trapezoid window in a wall. I have set the top angle to be fixed at 3.56 degrees. I cannot drag it up to increase its height graphically and it keeps snapping back. I can drag it down graphically to decrease its height but not up.

Secondly, this number here seems to only want to increase by 50mm or so. For example it reads 1818.2mm at the moment. I enter 5000mm and it goes up to 1885.9mm. I have to keep entering big numbers for it to go up to the height I want, then decrease it again
7 REPLIES 7
Lingwisyer
Guru
The maximum it will allow you to increase it's height is limited by the height difference between your two sides, so is relative to your Top Angle.

I assume this limitation is created by the Top Angle limit being scripted before the Side Height and how they interact, which is actually quite poorly... There is a single direction limit somewhere in there. It will not allow your to set a Side Height greater than A.tan(Top Angle), but it will allow you to do the inverse and set a Top Angle between 270 and 360.

One of the many poorly scripted objects in the library...

If you know the distance you want to shift, you could temporarily change it to Total Height / Top Angle make your modification then swap back. You could also set the Top Angle to near 90, set your Side Height, then set the correct Top Angle.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you for raising this issue, and thank you Ling for chiming in with your knowledge!

When you set the Top Definition to "by Top Angle and Side Height", the actual window's height is not available to modify. The Side Height is limited by this value, therefore you cannot put a bigger number than the current full window's height (which is being locked).

Once you bump up the Side Height number, it adjusts the full window's height automatically, so that you can keep raising the Side Height to the next limit.

I have forwarded this case to our Technical Support team for further investigation. As soon as I have an answer I will post it here.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Minh. I understand the logic behind this, however, it is quite time consuming to keep bumping up the side height to get the desired number
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Absolutely! It takes me 10 minutes just to fiddle with the numbers of 1 window. If I set the wrong top angle, it decreases the side height, then it also modifies the full window's height. I need to switch to another Top Definition, just to fix the full window's height, and then stupidly enter the wrong angle again, and again...

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Lingwisyer
Guru
There is a single direction limit somewhere in there.

Quoting myself, this limit is only in regards to setting the side height and the generation of the Wallhole. It will allow you to set a Top Angle between 270 and 360, but this in turn breaks the Wallhole for some reason.

Ling.

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply! Our colleagues from the development team have looked into it. It turned out to be more like a design decision than a bug.

The issue happens because of the connection between the side height and the nominal sizes. There is some basic rule in Library that the "nominal size" can not be changed by other parameters than itself.

Unfortunately, we could not find an easier workaround than increasing step-by-step the window's side height to reach the needed value.

Understanding how it can be time-consuming and quite frustrating to fix it this way, I'm registering the issue into our database. Hopefully, this function will be improved in the future.

I'm sorry about the inconvenience! Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Lingwisyer
Guru
Create a reference line at the height you want, then use the Top Height, Top Angle option and snap the Top Height to the intersection with your reference?