BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Jpg sign image without rectangle box

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am wanting to insert an image onto the fascade of a building in ArchiCad 12. I have the images as .eps files, which I have imported into photoshop and created jpg images. The problem is that when I place and position them in archicad, I get a rectangle background around the image.

For example one of the images is a brand logo on a white background. In photoshop I have selected and deleted the white background, so there are blank pixels where the white was. I output this a a JPG and import into archicad libaray.

I want to place this onto the front of a building to look like this logo is attached directly to the metal panel on the fascade. The white rectangular background I get by instering this as a picture (object, custom image) destroys this.

I would appreciate any advise on how to achieve this.

Regards & Thanks

Anthony
18 REPLIES 18
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Anthony:

I think you want to investigate using the Alpha Channel for transparency for the texture

For more information with images, go to Help > ArchiCAD Help, when your browser opens click on the "Search" tab, and input "Alpha Channel" in the search box, in the results list "Material Texture Panel" will lead to detailed information.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi David,

Thank you. I am sure the solution is there somewhere .... I just can't find it yet.

From what I read, I should be able to add the JPG image to the library, then select it as an object and edit its texture and in there alter its alpha channel etc.

I can see how the edit the texture of an object, just not sure how to edit the texture of my image.

I can add the jpg file to the library in library manager..... but I can not then select it as an object ?

Am I on the wrong track ?

Sorry for being such a Noobie....

Anthony
Dwight
Newcomer
Jpeg can't have alpha channels - use PNG.
Dwight Atkinson
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
ozeant wrote:
I can see how the edit the texture of an object, just not sure how to edit the texture of my image.

I can add the jpg file to the library in library manager..... but I can not then select it as an object ?
You need to duplicate a Material, then assign your texture to that material, and then assign that material to the element that you want with the texture. And what Dwight said, you need to be using a file format that supports alpha channels.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Right, we are all getting confused here! Firstly, I believe Anthony is trying to apply a custom image to the 'picture12.gsm' object. Materials don't work on this object. It needs an image.

Secondly, the standard picture12 object doesn't have the option to hide the alpha channel, so it still wouldn't work. You will need to try Dwights Parapicture object found here -

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/object_depository.php?browse=Depository/01+General

I wouldn't advise loading textures and objects individually through the library manager. Put them all into a folder or several folders and load the folder instead. It's much neater and easier to manage.

In the object itself simply enter in the file name of the texture into the 'image name' field (e.g. logo1), and it should work fine. You will still have to use a PNG or a TIF to have an alpha channel though.

Hope that helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

Thank you all for the replies so far.... I am getting closer I think

It is very frustrating though !!

Peter you are correct, I was using picture12.gsm. I have downloaded and imported parapicture, I went back to photoshop and output the image as a PSD file with an alpha channel and have placed that into Archicad....

I have positioned the image using the parapicture object and tried turning on and off the alpha channel .... the white box still appears around the image. I am missing a step somewhere. What do I put on the alpha channel in photoshop ?

I have removed all background pixels from the image in photoshop, but nothing makes the rectanglular white background dissapear. In photoshop there is just a logo image with blank pixels everywhere else. But the blank pixels show up as white (rather than transparent) in Archicad

Thanks

Anthony
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Anthony:

Just guessing: the transparency will only work in a PhotoRendering, not in the 3D Window or other views. If it is not working in a PhotoRendering, then you can post screen shots of your PhotoRendering, Material and Object dialog boxes to see if someone can diagnose the issue.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Anthony,

We are nearly there!!

In Photoshop, to save an alpha layer you select the area you want (Select > Colour Range works well for solid areas of colour), then in the 'channels' area of the layers toolbar, click the 'save the selection as a channel' button to create an alpha channel. You can double click this to bring up the channel options in order to swop the masked area with the unmasked area if it displays the wrong way round in ArchiCAD.

Save the image as a PNG or a TIF, not as a PSD!

You wont see background disappear in the openGL window - the white rectangle will always be visible. The alpha channel only has an effect when you render it. You wont see anything on the elevations either, just the rectangular outline of the picture object.

If you did need to see the actual shape of the logo in elevation, you will need to use a completely different technique involving tracing over the logo on plan with the slab tool and then saving as a library part. Let me know if you need further instruction on this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all so much. You are correct, once I saved the image as a PNG file it worked great. Tiff for some reason didn't work, but problem solved for now.

Thanks

Anthony
Learn and get certified!