BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Keyboard shortcut suggestions

David Wylie
Participant
Keyboard shortcuts improve productivity enormously, but oddly there are no standard shortcuts for Design Tools (wall, door etc.) - correct me if I'm wrong. I have created my own suggestions (see below) together with some of my most-used commands. Any suggestions for alternatives are welcome:
Wall, Shift + W, Wall Tool, Non-Text
Window, Shift + O, Window Tool, Non-Text ('O' for opening)
Door, Shift + D, Door Tool, Non-Text
Slab, Shift + S, Slab Tool, Non-Text
Roof, Shift + C, Roof Tool, Non-Text ('C' for covering)
Text, Shift + T, Text Tool, Non-Text
Label, Shift + V, Label Tool, Non-Text
Zone, Shift + Z, Zone Tool, Non-Text
Fill, Shift + F, Fill Tool, Non-Text
Line, Shift + L, Line Tool, Non-Text
Polyline, Shift + P, Polyline Tool, Non-Text
Rotate, Ctrl + R
Intersect, Ctrl + E
P.S. As a former AutoCAD user, I do miss the ability to use the space bar to 'enter' a command. In that way, I don't have to use two fingers simultaneously.
David Wylie
AC 19
Windows 10
Quad-core i7
8Gb RAM
8 REPLIES 8
Eduardo Rolon
My partial list:

w = wall
shift + w = window
shift + d = door
s = slab
t = text
ctrl+0 = zoom extents, same as all Adobe apps
command+shift+t = teamwork palette
shift+s = split
l = line
shift + l = polyline
f = fill
1 = pick tool, old AC shortcut that I got used to
2 = marquee tool, old AC shortcut
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you turn on your tool tips the tool shortcuts are listed in parenthesis. They have been around since v 5 or there about and although they've changed a few here and there I can't believe they would get rid of them. The are are single button commands w/ no modifiers.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jeffrey wrote:
They have been around since v 5 or there about and although they've changed a few here and there I can't believe they would get rid of them.
The single letter commands are assigned by the Work Environment, so they can be assigned by the user, not hard wired into the application. For example, while Eduardo has "t" assigned to the Text Tool, I have it assigned to Top Elevation (for the Slab Tool, Wall Tool, etc., noted as "t" in the Info Box).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
David Wylie
Participant
1 = pick tool, old AC shortcut that I got used to
2 = marquee tool, old AC shortcut
How do you asign keyboard shortcuts to 'pick' and 'marquee'? I can't find a way (they do't seem to be on my menus).

Thanks.

David
David Wylie
AC 19
Windows 10
Quad-core i7
8Gb RAM
Eduardo Rolon
In your work environment settings -> under shortcuts -> filter by "all commands by theme" -> look under "Toolbox Tools"
Screen shot 2011-03-01 at 12.48.32 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

JaredBanks
Mentor
David,

My top 20 shortcuts are here (and why they are what they are):

http://www.shoegnome.com/2010/12/11/top-20-keyboard-shortcuts/

and here are some other blog posts I've done recently that discuss some of my other views on shortcuts.

http://www.shoegnome.com/tag/shortcut/
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
In my humble opinion:
Keyboard shortcuts are the most important way to speed up your drafting in ArchiCAD. My keyboard shortcuts have evolved over the years. The basic idea I have used is to keep your left hand on the left side of your keyboard as much as possible. Determine which commands you use most frequently and keep them easily accessible to the left side of the keyboard; close & easy to get to. If you use a command often don't give it a shortcut like command 8. Try stretching your hand to make that work! It actually hurts! Also, you can double up the command keys on the left side by using ex.: command S and command option S simply by having your thumb cover the command & option key at the same time. Memorize the most common shortcut keys & add one a week until your head is full. ArchiCAD will let you print out your shortcuts. Keep the list by your desk in case you forget any.
JaredBanks
Mentor
Jack,

I agree. Keyboard shortcuts are essential. But I don't think they need to be relegated to the left of the keyboard. CMD+8, using the CMD key to the right of the keyboard is very easy (middle finger for 8 and thumb on command). I know that was a generic example, but it is a shortcut I use constantly. Most importantly, the keyboard shortcuts should be one handed, where ever they are. And grouped. It drives me crazy to watch people do shortcuts two handed. It feels and looks so awkward.

The thumb for opt+cmd or ctrl+opt is also a great trick that I try to get my coworkers to use.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Learn and get certified!