Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Labelling Complex Profile Walls

BenATA
Booster

Hi all, we have a school project with most exterior walls built using complex profiles. As far as the 3D model is concerned complex profiles have been really helpful as the walls are constructed of a brick-veneer footing (that changes its height regularly) with the rest of the wall consisting of sheet metal cladding, that varies in colour regularly.  See the attached image, which has a single complex profile wall element is highlighted in red to show how we are using the wall elements. 
Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 14.01.25.png
The issue that we have is that we cannot live label the materials/surfaces of the complex profile walls in elevation. Does anyone have have a good solution for labelling the multiple surfaces that appear on on a complex profile like we have in our model. 

Any suggestion would be much appreciated, 

Thanks in advance

Ben 

AC23-25

MacOS BigSur

Cheers,

Ben

ArchiCAD 23 -amp; 26
MacOS 12 - 13
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Ben,

What you are experiencing is something that I have worked around for years. I sadly model each part of the wall separately. I essentially stack composite walls on top of each other. Then I have a custom label that reads the outside / inside Building Material of the Composite and the outside / inside Surface. Here is a presentation I did back in 2014 on the topic. https://www.skewed.com.au/media/webinars/webinar-putting-i-your-bim-documentation

Sadly I don't think there is a way in which you can label a complex profile the way you want to. I only create complex profiles with a single Building Material to represent construction for this reason. Sorry, I don't have an answer, I have a workaround.

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX

Hi Nathan, 

Yes this was the answer I was expecting but hoped not to get! Thanks very much for your reply - I will watch your presentation later this week. 

Cheers,

Ben 

AC23-25

MacOS BigSur

Cheers,

Ben

ArchiCAD 23 -amp; 26
MacOS 12 - 13

You can do an auto-text label and insert auto-text for 'Surfaces (All)'.

But this will give you all surfaces in the complex profile - not just the outside ones.

I don't know any way to just get the surface you point to in a complex profile.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11