BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Layer Combinations and ViewMap Associations

rob2218
Enthusiast
see attached.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
7 REPLIES 7
alemanda
Advocate
yes ... it seems very strange ... but this is how it works.
Layer combinations seem to be by-name associated ... so you change the name of the layer combo and you lose the association in all the views ...
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
rob2218
Enthusiast
Yes, I had been noticing this over the different versions of Archicad.....and not one has been programmed to allow the layer combinations to be "glued" if you will, to the viewmaps...very odd.
alemanda wrote:
yes ... it seems very strange ... but this is how it works.
Layer combinations seem to be by-name associated ... so you change the name of the layer combo and you lose the association in all the views ...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Barry Kelly
I (and others) have reported this as a bug to Graphisoft during testing.
So far it is just marked to be fixed in a future release.

The same thing happens when you rename pen sets, model view options, renovation filters and now in 20 the new graphical overrides.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
It is why we have a long and comprehensive list of layer combinations in the template we use.

And they are the only template 'attribute' so to speak we freely modify on projects to suit our needs (hiding/showing layers as needed in combinations).

The association isn't truly by name either, I think. I remember trying to switch two layercombo's around by renaming both in one edit, didn't work as I recall.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
rob2218
Enthusiast
So...let's say you have a layer combo named "Floor Plan Walls A" and you have another layer combo named "Floor Plan Walls B".....and assign viewmaps to these layer combos. Then you rename the 2nd layer combo to "Floor Plan Walls C" and rename the first layer combo to "Floor Plan Walls B", you're telling me I the viewmaps won't accept it being renamed back to its original name again?
Erwin wrote:
It is why we have a long and comprehensive list of layer combinations in the template we use.

And they are the only template 'attribute' so to speak we freely modify on projects to suit our needs (hiding/showing layers as needed in combinations).

The association isn't truly by name either, I think. I remember trying to switch two layercombo's around by renaming both in one edit, didn't work as I recall.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Do a save as... and try it out, this is what I remember vaguely.

We just adjust the 'main' layercombo's as needed. We have them for different scales/phases and the template is setup with seperate view maps/clones for all of them, it works relatively painless this way.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
rob2218 wrote:
So...let's say you have a layer combo named "Floor Plan Walls A" and you have another layer combo named "Floor Plan Walls B".....and assign viewmaps to these layer combos. Then you rename the 2nd layer combo to "Floor Plan Walls C" and rename the first layer combo to "Floor Plan Walls B", you're telling me I the viewmaps won't accept it being renamed back to its original name again?
I tried this in ARCHICAD 19 and it works for me. View Settings identify Layer Combinations by Name so what you are describing should work, it does for me.
But I agree, these View Settings should be identified by some internal index number, not but Name so changing Names would not cause these issues.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!