BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Layer combinations and view map

DenisUser
Booster

Hey,

Have looked through different videos and posts about view map, project map and layer combinations. Thought I got it how it works, but seems that I did not. I have also seen some forum posts about similar issue where layer combination went to "Custom" when changing views.

I have imported a point cloud in my model. I set it up in its place. Created views from point cloud in view map as floor plans and sections. All is good so far.

Now I planned to use views as overlays on my floor plan in project map to start modeling. I set a separate layer combination in view settings to view map view which shows only point cloud and wanted to turn point cloud off in project map view to use an overlay there. Now if I at any point navigate to some of my view map plans and then back to project map plan then my view map layer combination sticks to project map view. Basically I have "point cloud" layer combination in my view map plan and want to use "drafting" layer combination in project map plan. When I am in my project map plan I have it set up with "drafting" layer combination. Then I go to my view map plan and layer combination changes to "point cloud" and when I go back to project map plan my layer combination is still "point cloud" and it does not change back to "drafting". And it even stick this "point cloud" combination to all my sections and elevations in project map. Cant, I have a separate layer combination for these? 

Archicad 26 Solo (Beginner - Started August 2023), Windows 11 Pro, Dell Precision 7560 Laptop (64GB RAM, i7-11850H, RTX A4000), Dual 27-inch Dell Monitors (2560x1440).
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

If you are opening a Project Map view, you must choose the layer combination - it does not have one saved with it.

Only opening View Map views, will the layer combination automatically changes, because the combination is saved with the view.

If you are switching between tabs (views already opened) and you see an exclamation mark (!) in the tab name, that means it is not showing as per its default settings.

Double click and it should reset.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Gortz
Booster

Think you have to right-click on the view and "Redefine with current view setting" to re-save the view with the desired settings. 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I do not see this option on project map views. The issue is that view map plans stick their layer combinations to all project map plans, sections, and elevations and do not change back to "drafting". But when I go to view map plans then layer combination changes to the correct combination ("point cloud"). Changing back to project map plans is a problem where layer combination does not change back to "drafting".

Archicad 26 Solo (Beginner - Started August 2023), Windows 11 Pro, Dell Precision 7560 Laptop (64GB RAM, i7-11850H, RTX A4000), Dual 27-inch Dell Monitors (2560x1440).
Solution
Barry Kelly

If you are opening a Project Map view, you must choose the layer combination - it does not have one saved with it.

Only opening View Map views, will the layer combination automatically changes, because the combination is saved with the view.

If you are switching between tabs (views already opened) and you see an exclamation mark (!) in the tab name, that means it is not showing as per its default settings.

Double click and it should reset.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thanks.

So if I would like to switch between views a lot and not switching layer combination all the time then it seems a good idea to make a view with "drafting" combination and just work on this project in view map. Is there any real downsides to modeling in a view map view that might not be obvious? As much as I understand it is the same model just with the pre-set view settings.

For me, if I already have the views open, they do not change layer combinations as I switch between them.

If I open a new view point from the Project Map, then it opens with the same layer combination as the currently open view.

If I open an view from the View Map, it opens with the layer combination set for that view.

The currently open views are not affected.

But yes, you can create as many views with any settings you want.

Just because you have a view saved in the View Map, does not mean you have to use it in a layout.

You can even create folders to store the views, so you could have a set of "drafting" views in a "drafting" folder that you can expand or collapse when needed.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!