BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Layers / Folder view

Todd Thomas
Contributor

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial or you tube video explaining how Layers/ folders work. I have tried to understand how to use them. Even had some colleagues try to explain it but I just don't understand how they work.

I find that if I want to draw something on the screen and I want to place it on a particular layer the layer is either turned off or locked.

On another note. How do I add my computer / software specs at the bottom of my message, automatically ?

Thanks

Archicad 26
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

So when you say layer 'folders', do you mean layer combinations?

I suspect not, as we now have 'folders' for many attributes in 27.

Personally for me, folders for layers are a bit of a waste of time, but then I don't have 100's of layers to search through.

They are simply a way of grouping similar layers, of say annotation layers of different scales or for different drawings (floor plan, electrical plan, site plan, etc).

They will all be used by different layer combinations, but you may want to group them in a folder so you can scan down the list, open the 'annotation' group and activate the layer you want to use.

It is just a way of organising the layers in 'logical' groups if you want to make a long list more manageable.

It does not affect the layer combinations or how you use the layers.

But then you also have the new search at the top of the list.

Just start typing "Annot...." and if you have named all the layers correctly with "Annotation" in the name, you will see a select list of just those annotation layers.

The only problem with these new 'folders' I find is, an attribute can only belong to one folder.

There may be times when an attribute could belong to more than one group, but currently we can not do that.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein

I'm confused since your other posts suggest that you know how to use Archicad.   Layers is kind of a basic hour 1, day 1 topic... which the training videos  / classes should have explained for you?  (I assume you are coming from Revit, since Layers is otherwise a very common feature of CAD software.)

Layer combinations contain the visibility, locked/unlocked, intersection, wireframe and more settings for each layer.

Tools will use the last layer for which the tool was used... and that layer can be changed in the Info Box or Settings... or by choosing a Favorite (saved Tool settings).  If the layer is off or locked and you are working with a company template or file, then it is most likely that you have the wrong layer combination active.  You can go ahead and unlock/show the layer if you wish, but I suspect the usage issues are deeper.

Typically most work is done via Views in the View Map (rather than Viewpoints)... Views set up the proper layer combination, display options etc to show the model view that you want to work on.

Folders are just a way of organizing related layers (e.g., Annotation layers).

You can update your signature by going to your settings... click on the icon for you at the very top right of the screen and then My Settings to get to your signature field.  It will appear at the end of each post and should contain you OS version, AC version, relevant machine specs.

Please clarify if the above doesn't answer your question. 🙂

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Hi Karl,

I know how layers work. Its layer folders I can't get my head around. Is there a video on how to use them.

Thanks

Archicad 26
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro
Solution

So when you say layer 'folders', do you mean layer combinations?

I suspect not, as we now have 'folders' for many attributes in 27.

Personally for me, folders for layers are a bit of a waste of time, but then I don't have 100's of layers to search through.

They are simply a way of grouping similar layers, of say annotation layers of different scales or for different drawings (floor plan, electrical plan, site plan, etc).

They will all be used by different layer combinations, but you may want to group them in a folder so you can scan down the list, open the 'annotation' group and activate the layer you want to use.

It is just a way of organising the layers in 'logical' groups if you want to make a long list more manageable.

It does not affect the layer combinations or how you use the layers.

But then you also have the new search at the top of the list.

Just start typing "Annot...." and if you have named all the layers correctly with "Annotation" in the name, you will see a select list of just those annotation layers.

The only problem with these new 'folders' I find is, an attribute can only belong to one folder.

There may be times when an attribute could belong to more than one group, but currently we can not do that.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Barry,

I guess I don't really see the point of them. Why have folders with a selection of layers you want shown ? If I want a selection of layers to use for a particular view I would use Layer combinations. And If I really wanted to see what layers were tuned on for that combination I would click the show all on layers title.

Curious to know how others use them.

Thanks

Archicad 26
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

@Todd Thomas wrote:

Hi Karl,

I know how layers work. Its layer folders I can't get my head around. Is there a video on how to use them.

Thanks

Good to hear!  But, then I don't understand why you said "I find that if I want to draw something on the screen and I want to place it on a particular layer the layer is either turned off or locked" ... since that is just how things work depending on layer combination and last-used layer of tools etc ... and nothing to do with Folders.

As I mentioned, Folders are just a way or organizing related layers.  There is no requirement to use them... they are for the convenience of those who find it helpful vs scrolling through the entire layer list.  For example, the structural layers could be in a folder.  Many of us have those layers with a name starting with "S-" vs "A-" for architectural layers... and don't find folders add anything to that sorting method.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!